Ch. 33

We walked the desert for miles, finally reaching an empty hut. We decided to sit down inside for awhile to cool off and take a break.
"The only way we will find Luke is if we find the rebellion base.", I said to him.
"How do we find the base?"
"I haven't thought that far yet.", I sat there watching outside a small hole in the hut to make sure nobody saw us enter here.
"You hate me, don't you?"
I looked up at him quickly with my head titled a bit, "What do you mean?"
"Not remembering anything. I'd hate me too."
I didn't want to answer him or talk about it but knew I had to tell him sometime. "I hate that you don't remember us or anything we've gone through since you we first met until now. But I don't hate you. I hate who did this to you."
He looked down not knowing how to respond. "I guess I don't mind saving you every now and then.", he said shooting me his famous smuggler smirk. The smirk that made my heart melt. It gave me hope that the old Han was still there somewhere.
       "What else would a princess be good for?", I said with a smile as well.
"Who took away my memory? You mentioned someone by the name of Jon."
I looked down trying to fiddle with the straps on my boots to stall from talking. Before Han lost his memory, this was a story I never told him. "He was from Alderaan. I met him when I was about 15 and he was 17. Our families became very close so we spent a lot of time together and almost everyday together. Even when I was involved with politics and being a leader for my home, I made time to see him. We became best friends but we eventually fell in love, or at least that is what I thought. I had never felt that way about anyone before. When I turned 18, I had to prepare to choose someone to marry. Long story short, I found out that he never loved me and all of those years he was just waiting for me to choose him. I was beyond hurt, I never wanted anyone to see my feelings again and wanted to push anyone who ever cared about me away. So I did just that, I pushed everyone I began to fall for away.". It felt weird telling anyone that story but also was a relief to know that I could finally trust someone.
"I don't understand.", he said.
"What don't you understand?"
"How someone can treat you that way."
I smiled at him. It was nice knowing that someone actually cared about how I was treated. "People will do crazy things for power. I guess that's why I'm so 'cold-hearted' around everyone. It's just easier for me to not let my feelings show."
He then responded saying, "I knew it. I knew you had feelings for me that whole time."
I let out a chuckle at his response. It was nice to just sit here and talk, not worrying about the empire for a little bit.
       "So you know my story, now what is yours?", I asked.
         He looked at me and laughed, then saying, "Oh no, that's not how this works. Just because you decided to tell me your story doesn't mean I have to tell you mine."
          "Come on Han, I know it will be hard to choose but you probably have at least one favorite story of how you broke a girl's heart.", I said to him while smiling. He sat there and said, "You don't want to hear those stories."
           Then it clicked, "Unless....."
           "Unless what?", he asked in a serious tone.
           "Han Solo, some girl out there broke your heart?!", I asked in a shocked tone.
           "What are you talking about?"
           "You know what I am talking about. Why are you not answering the question?"
           "We need to get going before we are stuck here for good."
           I moved over to block the exit of the hut then said, "No, no, no. You can't escape that easy, flyboy.". He rolled his eyes at me and moved back to his spot. "Now, answer the question.", I folded my arms and gave him a slight glare.
            He sighed then started his story saying, "It was about when I was 17. This might be a shocker to you but, it was when I was on Tatooine, smuggling away. I was there for a few months trying to find enough goods to pay off Jabba, again nothing new. Then one day, I noticed a girl that did not look familiar and let me tell you, after smuggling Tatooine for awhile, you notice faces. But this girl was one I had never seen before so I knew she had not been from here. She couldn't be older 15 or 15. One day I bumped into her, literally, and we became friends since then, told me her name was Lily. After awhile, I found out she that was on the run from a group of bounty hunters and that she was a smuggler as well. I fell in love with her and eventually she fell in love with me too, sort of like your story though that's at least what I thought. So I saved up all of my smuggled goods, ready to turn in to Jabba, and I woke up one morning, about to pack everything into the ship. From a distance I noticed Lily walking, pushing a barrel with of course, MY goods. Once she saw me, she ran up the ramp of her ship. She looked at me then the ship took off. I never saw her again.". He had saddened eyes as he told the story.
"Oh my god, Han.", I said.
"No. You don't get to feel bad for me. It was years ago.", he said with a laugh.
I didn't know what to say, aside from the fact that I felt completely terrible for Han and how sad he was for the situation, but because I was the girl that broke Han Solo's heart.