A kind of contentment

Start from the beginning

"Clara, your father has just arrived home, and I am sure he is tired after the long journey. Perhaps we should give him a chance to go to his room and refresh himself, then we can discuss these plans at a later time," Eleanor suggested in her quiet but firm manner, as if sensing that Daniel was feeling a little overwhelmed with his daughter's over enthusiastic talk.

"Oh yes, of course," Clara now realised in after thought, now looking apologetically at her father, "I'm sorry for going on so, it's just nice that you are back, this means we can go riding together in the morning" she then realised happily

"Yes," Daniel replied with a small smile, "And we can discuss these things then. But your step mother is right, I am rather tired after my journey, I will be in a much better mood later to listen, when I get refreshed."

"Then I shall not hold you back further with my talk," Clara replied leaning over to kiss him on the cheek, "Of course you must rest, then you can tell me all about London" she added happily now taking a step back.

"I will, though you might find it a little boring as it was mostly business, you will probably have more interest in Eleanor's cousin's letter than my dealings" Daniel replied.

Then shooting Eleanor a small grateful smile of acknowledgment, he turned and started up the stairs.

*****************************************

Martha Rawlings had been keeping a low profile, once she realised her plans to get rid of Eleanor had gone awry.

She wasn't sure how exactly it had happened, except when Daniel brought his little runaway injured wife back, things had changed dramatically.

Suddenly Clara was close with her father, and she had befriended Eleanor, even becoming very protective of her, and the tables had been turned.

Now Martha was the one feeling suddenly isolated, and left out in the cold.

Being a paid servant there wasn't anything she could do about it, much to her frustration.

So for these past few weeks she had kept her head down, and hid her disdain at seeing Daniel suddenly becoming the responsible father, and master of Somerton Manor and totally ignoring her

It made her feel nauseous watching them al,l Eleanor, Clara and Daniel, playing at happy families.

She knew the kind of man Daniel really was, she supposed he could not keep up this almost pious behaviour for long, all he needed was a little push, a reminder, that she understood him better than anyone else.

So she had bided her time, waiting until she had the chance and knew Daniel was in his study alone, and Clara and Eleanor had gone to bed, then without even knocking on the study door she entered carrying a bottle of port and a glass, on a tray.

Daniel, who had been busy with his head bent over in an accounting book, now looked up from his desk, his eyes narrowing slightly at the sight of Martha.

"Evening Sir, it's good to see you back from your trip from London, I thought you might be wanting your usual port.. I know how you need it to help get you through the day" she added with deliberation, as she set the tray down on the desk in front of him.

The implication was not lost on Daniel, who now sat back in his chair, astounded at Martha's audacity after all she had done.

But then he decided it was a good thing, it reminded him he had unfinished business with her, and now that Eleanor was up and about again, He decided it was time to let Martha know exactly where she stood.

His eyes rested on the bottle of port she had put in front of him, then smiling, he reached over, and pushed the tray away from him.

"That was very thoughtful of you Martha, but I will not be needing the port tonight" he informed her, his eyes returning to her face.