Epilogue

( 10 MONTHS LATER)

Eleanor could not believe how quickly the time had flown in, from the time the doctor had called on them and announced that she was indeed with child.

The following month had not been all plain sailing despite the fact she and Daniel were happy about the news.

Clara for one, was less enthusiastic about it when they finally broke the news to her.

At first she didn't say very much, but Eleanor sensed that Clara was not really looking forward to the arrival of her new half brother or sister, though she tried hard to act as if she did, when she was around her father.

It was only weeks before Mark Robert Somerton came into the world that Eleanor finally discovered what was bothering her step daughter.

Clara admitted that she was fretting that the new arrival might usurp her father's affections, that he would come to care about his new child more than her.

It was then that Eleanor reminded her, that she was his first daughter, and the living reminder of his first wife Isabella, whom Daniel had loved and lost so tragically.

And in that alone, Eleanor found herself able to reassure Clara, that she would always have a special place in her father's heart. Then speaking to Daniel about Clara's concerns, Eleanor urged him to also let his daughter know that she would not become secondary in his affections for her.

Daniel had only too willingly obliged, informing Clara somewhat affectionately that she was a silly goose for thinking that he could ever care for her less. She would always be special to him, and he would always love her dearly.

So when her little brother arrived into the world, Clara was much more content and happy in her mind, and immediately fell in love with him, fussing over him with sisterly care, much to Eleanor's relief.

Then there had been Daniel's sudden over-protectiveness to deal with, once he realised she was indeed carrying his child.

It had been very strange for Eleanor, considering when she had first married Daniel he had shown little concern for her. Then suddenly he would hardly let her move with her new condition, in concern for her and the child

At times it had made her want to scream, but recalling how he had lost Isabella whilst carrying their child, she had forced herself to be patient and understanding with him, and just enjoy the fact that he was at least showing her plenty of attention and care.

But still, she was glad when the time came, and their son was born safe and well. Then Daniel allowed himself relax again.

The best thing though was the fact Daniel no longer had much time to dwell on the past and brood over it, with the forthcoming Christening of the new arrival to plan as well as Clara's coming out, there was too much to do for the future for a change that kept him occupied.

It was really nice to see him smile and seem happy so much more of late

And now the refurbishment of Somerton Manor was complete, the arrival of their guests, including his aunt and Uncle as well as Eleanor's aunt and cousins who were coming to see the new addition to the family, was now keeping them busy. Somerton Manor had never been so lively.

So as they were all gathered in the drawing room, and the newly acquired nanny introduced Master Mark Robert, to the rest of the clan for the first time, Eleanor couldn't help glancing up at Isabella's portrait hanging above the hearth, feeling a sense of contentment, that her predecessor would have her approval on the little scene before her.

The End