An Uneasy Reunion

The Winston's Butler answered almost immediately when Daniel knocked on the front door.

He did not have to announce who he was, as they were expecting him, and he was already fifteen minutes late. So now the butler led Daniel directly to the drawing room, where Annette and John Winston were awaiting him.

"Good afternoon, I am sorry I am a little late" Daniel apologised as John Winston welcomed him by shaking his hand.

"It is fine," John brushed aside Daniel's late arrival, "It is just good to see you again, and know you are back safe and sound.. Would you like a drink?"

Daniel only too gladly accepted the offer, glancing around the room realising Clara was not there, he wasn't sure if he was relieved or disappointed.

Annette remained silent, she was a little shocked by her son-in-law's appearance. He had changed greatly since the last time she had set eyes on him five years ago. He was leaner, his face gaunt, the scar that left a gash on his right cheek did nothing to enhance his features, there was a hint of grey around the temples of his dark hair.

She recalled the handsome, pleasant young man he had been when her daughter had married him. It was hard to believe he was the same man. There was a bleakness about his blue eyes, and he seemed uneasy in their company. Annette was realising that war must do terrible things to men, although she wasn't sure that war was the only thing responsible

Recollecting herself she managed to smile and invite him to have a seat.

"Clara has been so excited when she heard you were coming," she smiled, "And I am sure you have been looking forward to seeing her again after such a long time.. She has fairly grown, and she is a very bright child"

"Yes, I am sure she is," Daniel forced himself to smile before taking the drink from John Winston's hand, and gladly taking a gulp

"Well I had better have Cassie fetch her down so you can see for yourself," Annette then said, rising from her chair to ring the bell, feeling a slight anxiety at the prospect of father and daughter meeting again. And hoping it would go alright.

When Cassie came to take her downstairs Clara jumped out of the chair where she had been impatiently waiting since she knew her father had finally arrived.

She was attired in a pretty yellow dress with matching bow in her dark hair, which contrasted nicely with her swarthy skin.

She was a mixture of nervous excitement, as Cassie led her out of her bedroom and down the stairs.

"What is he like Cassie?" she enquired in a hushed tone as they descended the stairs.

Cassie didn't know how to reply, like her employer Annette, she had found Daniel's appearance a little perturbing, but it was not her business to judge her betters.

"You will see for yourself, shortly enough," she finally replied diplomatically, but then because she was fond of Miss Clara, she squeezed the girl's hand reassuringly, "Just remember he has just come back from battling the frogs, and might seem a bit rough on it" she then added gently

Clara stared up at the maid with some uncertainty, wondering what she could mean. She soon discovered for herself when she was finally admitted into the drawing room.

When Cassie knocked on the door of the drawing room, then opened it to admit Clara, Daniel found he was sitting on the edge of his seat holding his breath. Because he was not sure what to expect. He could only picture his daughter when she was five years old. And even those memories were a little vague.

When the young girl stepped in along with the maid, he gave a sharp intake of breath as his eyes caught sight of her. Yes, she had his blue eyes, but everything else reminded him of her mother Isabella. Even the uncertain smile she sent in his direction. All he could do was stare at her as he felt something wrenching and twisting in his gut.