Gwen Pays a visit

Isabella was upstairs in the nursery with her daughter Clara, when one of the servants came to inform her that she had a visitor, a Lady Hawthorne.

Leaving her daughter in the care of the nanny, Isabella immediately went down to the drawing room to find her old childhood friend standing idly glancing around her.

"Gwen!" Isabella exclaimed with surprised pleasure, "It's wonderful to see you," she went over and gave her a hug.

"It's lovely to see you too," Gwen smiled, "I hope I haven't called at an inconvenient time" she then added apologetically.

"Oh no," Isabella assured her, and led her over to the sofa gesturing for her to sit down, "I was just helping settle Clara for her afternoon nap," she then explained, "But this is such an unexpected pleasure. We must have some tea and a nice long chat" she insisted on going over to pull the bell for one of the servants to come.

"That would be really nice, but I am afraid I can't stay as long as I would like to," Gwen informed her a little regretfully, "I have to go into town later this afternoon for a new gown. Being Lady Hawthorne means I always have to be dressed in the latest mode, its expected of me," she twinkled

"Oh and I am sure you enjoy every moment of it," Isabella replied with a knowing smile, "Oh I am so glad you have came, we haven't had a proper chance to talk from you returned from Spain last month"

"Yes I know, life has been hectic since we returned. I haven't had the chance until now to come and visit you," Gwen partly lied. In truth there had been times, but she did not want to see Daniel and Isabella together.

But now that Daniel had declared how much he still wanted and loved her, Gwen found some perverse pleasure in visiting her friend knowing she was secretly carrying on an affair with her husband.

"So how are you keeping?" she enquired, "I believe you are with child again?"

"Yes," Isabella smiled, "I am only three months gone, but Daniel and I are so pleased, we are hoping for a boy this time, if not the next time it might be" she finished optimistically.

"Gracious! You sound like you are planning on having a large brood," Gwen remarked in amusement.

"Well why not?" Isabella shrugged with laugh, "I would like a large family," she added earnestly, "Daniel is such a good father, you should see him with little Clara, she adores him"

"How lovely" Gwen replied with a tight smile, quelling the pang of jealousy that was building up inside her.

She had no desire to picture Daniel as a happy family man.

"And what about you?" Isabella now enquired, "Is there still no sign of you becoming a mother?"

Gwen was genuinely startled by this query, "Who me? Oh no, none at all," she hastily replied

"Oh dear," Isabella clucked sympathetically "I am so sorry"

"But there is no need to be." Gwen assured her "It's not that I can't have any children, I just don't want them"

Isabella was quite startled by this statement, she was glad at that moment the servant entered the room to distract her from the shock of Gwen's declaration.

Giving the maid orders to bring them some tea, Isabella waited until the servant was gone before continuing, "I do not understand Gwen dear, how can you not want children? Just say you fall pregnant, surely you must-?" she broke off there unsure how to continue about such delicate and intimate matters.

"There are ways of preventing one from getting pregnant" Gwen informed her with an air of superiority, "That was the first thing I was determined to discover after I got married,"