A DYING REQUEST AND A RELUCTANT PROMISE

After what had occurred with his housekeeper, Daniel avoided being at Somerton Manor as much as he could so he would not have to face Martha's mockery, below that pretence of showing him a respectful attitude in front of the other staff, acting like the dutiful housekeeper.

Which was why he found himself spending the evening with his new friend and sitting at the table at Gareth Beale's house, attending the dinner party Gareth had insisted on inviting him to.

The only company apart from Gareth's wife and niece also included a doctor and fellow businessmen

They talk around the table mostly of business, and the price of flax and latest ground breaking machines that would revolutionise the Mills. Daniel found he had to feign interest in the conversation, whilst making sure his wine glass was filled up regularly

Gareth's niece, Eleanor was sitting across the table from him.

He had the distinct impression she was not enjoying the evening any better than he was, as she sat, keeping her eyes on the plate, pushing the food around, and not saying anything her only reason for being at the table at all was to make up the numbers

In the time Daniel had become acquainted with Gareth, he had not really spoken to the young woman.

But then, she seemed to be always occupied looking after her younger nieces and nephews, and running around the house after everyone, because Gareth's wife Elizabeth, seemed to be constantly suffering from one sort of ailment or another, and spent most of the day lying down on the couch or in bed, giving out orders.

Eleanor always had to be at her beck and call, as her aunt constantly reminded her how grateful she should be, for them taking her into their home and looking after her.

Daniel almost felt sorry for the young woman, who had obviously been downloaded with guilt and gratitude towards her aunt and uncle, so that she had become no more than some sort of submissive unpaid servant, rather than part of the family.

She happened to glance up from her plate, and caught Daniel staring at her, then she immediately lowered her eyes again, her face reddening.

Of all of the men around the table, she wished her aunt had not seated her facing her uncle's latest friend, Daniel Somerton.

For one thing, he drank too much, and he always looked so grim and remote. Eleanor would never forget the first time she had encountered him in the house when he had first stayed over

She had been looking after her youngest cousin Robert, who had been naughty, pulling his elder sister Kate's hair, then he had then fled the room charging up the stairs with Kate after him, and Eleanor following behind to make sure they did not do any more damage to each other, and also to chastise them to behave themselves, because their Mother would not be happy with all the ruckus

But half way up the stairs, young Robert, not really looking where he was going, smacked straight into Daniel, who was on his way down, after spending the night in one of the guest bedrooms.

As he was suffering from a bad hangover, he had not been in a good mood, so he had grabbed Robert firmly by the shoulders, warning him sharply he should be more careful, and watch where he was going

Then he had turned his attention on Eleanor and more or less scolded her in a disapproving tone, that she should keep her wards under better control.

He seemed a very foreboding figure with his scarred face, enhanced by his disapproving frown. So much so that Robert, who had quickly freed himself from his grasp, had returned to the safety of his elder cousin, hiding behind her.

Eleanor also found she was also shaking in her shoes at Daniels reproof.

But still, she managed to apologise, and then hurried her cousins up the rest of the stairs, wondering who he was. They had all been in their bed when Gareth had brought Daniel home the evening before.