Shattered illusions and the terrible truth

Although Gwen had promised she would try and meet up with him and explain everything, much to Daniel's frustration, he found it impossible to achieve

It seemed Lord Hawthorne and his wife were not receiving any visitors, to their home

Gwen made no appearance in the place where she and Daniel had arranged to meet in secret

In his heart of hearts, he hoped that the reason she had been unable to make an appearance was because it was impossible, and her husband was not letting her out of his sight.

But as the week progressed since Master James Hawthorne showed up at the ball causing a stir, there was still no contact or sigh of her. Now he was starting to believe Gwen couldn't, or didn't or want to face him.

Was it because she knew the talk of her misconduct with her stepson was now rife in the area? Perhaps she knew he had probably heard about it.If it had been untrue, surely she would have made sure to let him know to reassure him, and explain the truth?

Daniel felt Gwen owed him that much at least.

But he could not just barge into her home and demand an explanation, so he did his best to act as normal.

But it was impossible to avoid the subject even at home because Isabella was concerned for Gwen, and the fact the Hawthorne's had made no appearance had encouraged the gossip mongers that the story must be true, which didn't help matters.

"Poor Gwen," Isabella sympathised as she and Daniel were getting ready for bed, "All this can't be easy for her, she is being painted as a seductress and loose woman who is a disgrace to society.. No wonder she is finding it difficult to show her face"

"Surely you don't believe the stories going around?" Daniel spoke up with a small frown

"Isabella was sitting at her dresser brushing her hair, but stopped and looked at her husband through the mirror, her expression troubled.

"I don't want to believe them.. She is my friend, and I do not want to appear disloyal but still-" she broke off there shaking her head, "It does not matter" she went back to brushing her hair.

"But what?" Daniel urged her to finish what she was about to say.

Isabella sighed, and once more stopped brushing her hair, this time to turn and face her husband, her expression one of unease.

"I know you have always thought very highly of Gwen, When we were younger, you could never see any fault in her. But infatuation usually does put the recipient up on a pedestal to be adored and worshipped"

She paused to study Daniel's reaction, he seemed a little startled by her description of his relationship with Gwen, so she hastily added, "I am not saying your feelings for each other were not genuine. But as I said, you were both young, and Gwen always needed to be loved and adored, she always craved attention, but then she was the only girl in a family five boys, she was used to getting everything she wanted because her Papa spoilt her and indulged her every whim"

Thinking about it now, Daniel could not deny the truth in Isabella's words.

"Anyway like most men you were not to blame for being enchanted with her, she had that effect on people when she was her most charming, and I do believe she cared about you," Isabella then said

"That is comforting," Daniel couldn't help remarking dryly

Isabella smiled, "I do not mean to belittle what you felt for each other, or even Gwen, but because she was used to being loved and adored and getting all the attention, it could make her a little selfish.. More concerned with her own needs than anyone else's. And because she was used to getting her own way, she could sometimes behave outrageously because she knew she could get off with it.. Which is why I find this latest fiasco could have some ring of truth"