(PART THREE) The Unruly Daughter

Clara Somerton sat in her room, a mixture of emotions seething through her young mind and body.

Anger at her cousin Roberta, who had been cruelly taunting her earlier, about her father remarrying and starting a new family, and how he obviously had forgotten all about Clara, and that he didn't want her

Her cousin's taunting had infuriated deeply. So much so, Clara had lost control and attacked Roberta, by grabbing her by her blonde ringlets and demanding she take back what she was saying.

Annette and the servants, hearing Roberta's screams of pain and protest s at her cousin's rough treatment, was horrified when they came into the room, to find Clara attacking her cousin in a rage,

They hurriedly went over, to pull them apart.

Now, after being scolded severely that her behaviour was unacceptable for a young lady, Clara had been sent to her room for the rest of the day as punishment.

She had also been forced to grudgingly apologise to her cousin Roberta, although deep down, she believed she had deserved it. Roberta was a spiteful girl, who had resented Clara because she had her grandparents' favourite, and she had always been jealous of that.

Clara's only regret had been that the whole incident had upset her grandparents, she cared about them deeply ,and did not want them to be angry or upset with her.

But the provocation had been too great, especially when Roberta's remarks had been a mere reflection of Clara's own unspoken feelings towards her father.

She had only recently found out about her father's remarriage three months after the event had occurred. He had not been in contact with her since that awkward meeting a few years ago, when he had returned from Europe.

Her grandparents always made excuses for him, telling her he was probably too busy, but would visit again when he had the time. She had believed that at first, but after two years, and now she was a little older, she could not imagine that was the case at all.

Her initial disappointment after her father's visit a few years ago had now turned to bitter resentment, in that he had chosen to go on ignoring her existence. Then to discover he had remarried, and now probably with a new wife would start a new family.. Where would that leave her?

He had made it clear he did not want her to be part of his life, and did not care about her, so she would not care about him

But it was still hard to live with, especially with her cousins whispering about her behind her back, some of them even gloating at her situation.

It had been easier when she had been younger. In his absence from her life, she could boast he was a war hero who was fighting against the French .

Now a little older and wiser, and knowing he was not really that far away, but still didn't seem to want her, hurt.

And as much as she tried to convince herself it did not matter, that she had her grandparents love and affection and didn't need her father, deep down all she wanted to know was why?

Why did he not want her? what had she done so wrong that he shut her out of his life, and showed no interest in her?

She now found her anger focusing on her father again. It was his fault she had attacked Roberta, her cousin would have been unable to taunt her so, if her father had not neglected her

It was all so unfair. Frustrated by her situation, Clara found that sitting in her bedroom was not helping, It just made her mind continually go over all the wrongs she felt heaped up on her by her cousins and her father, which had put her in this situation