The Reluctant Father

Eleanor wasn't sure what exactly had happened with Daniel when he returned to Somerton Manor. Except, much to her bewilderment, that he seemed to be in an even fouler mood than he had been in before he went away. When she returned to the house and discovered he was back she went to find him in his study, she realised with some dismay that he was already on the verge of one of his usual drunken stupors.

She couldn't help but feel a sense of disappointment. She was hoping that when Daniel returned home, and saw the all changes she had accomplished at Somerton Manor, that it might bring him out of his misery and the constant reminder that this is where his wife and unborn child died, and she would somehow win his approval.

Before he had left, he had seemed to be looking more toward the future and putting everything to rights, and she had hoped he would be pleased with all she had done since his absence, but it seemed that was not the case.

When he was this drunk it made him unstable, and she always felt uneasy around him, so she would usually avoid him. Yet, she found she did not want to hide away this time. After being married to him for almost six months, she was starting to become accustomed to Daniel and his drunken moods. So that she no longer quaked in her shoes at the sight of him, well not as much as she used to, and she was genuinely concerned and curious to know what was going on with him.

He just continued to slouch in his chair behind his desk when she entered, there was a half drunk glass of brandy in his hand, which he swiftly knocked back at the sight of her

"Ahh, my little wife has returned, and she so happy to see me as ever I suppose" he slurred with drunken irony, noting the way she looked at him, seeming disappointed .

"Well to be honest, I was not I expecting to find you in this a state in such a short space of time since your own return this afternoon" she then openly admitted with a concerned frown

"To be honest in return, neither did I" Daniel replied dryly, leaning towards his desk and setting the glass down on the desk with deliberate firmness."That was until I received this", he now picked up the letter from his father-in-law and carelessly threw it across the desk, his face distorted into a sneer.

Eleanor just managed to catch it before it fell off the edge of the desk and onto the floor at her feet

She read over the letter whilst Daniel busied himself pouring out the last of the brandy into his glass

"This letter is from your first wife's parents, they think it is time that your daughter came home," Eleanor looked up at him, her brow furrowed in puzzlement, "I don't understand why would this letter upset you so? Surely you must have planned to have your daughter back with you sometime in the near future, I thought it would be good news, that she wants to come home to be with you again"

"Why would I? We are practically strangers now, and she is far better off with her grandparents than she would be with me, " Daniel replied, knocking back the brandy in his glass and grimacing, "But it seems that once more, the choice is being taken out of my hands, just as I was forced into this second marriage to produce more offspring and a male heir, now on top of everything else, I am expected to be responsible for her welfare as well. It's the last thing I want, or need"

"B-But why? She is your daughter, how can you not want to be responsible for her, or not want her here?" Eleanor replied, finding herself shocked by his attitude towards his own flesh and blood

"Because I don't deserve it," Daniel snapped bitterly, slamming the glass down on the desk in front of him, and staring into the glass with something akin to despair "I don't deserve to be responsible for her, or anyone!" he then mumbled, more to himself than Eleanor.