The Fallout

Unaware of the drama going on across the hallway, Daniel and Gwen continued to face each other, both still caught up in dealing with their own roller coaster of emotions that filled the air around them with tension.

Gwen was starting to unhappily accept. that things would never be the same between herself and Daniel. The shadow of Isabella's death and their part in it, would always be looming over them, and in the end Gwen realised in this instance her friend, even in her death had triumphed over her, because she would always have Daniel's heart

Real reconciliation between them seemed almost impossible now, and this time, she knew she had lost Daniel for good.

"You need not worry about my presence in the area for much longer. I will be gone for good by the end of week, once my affairs with my dead husband's estate is finalised" she informed him, her voice sounding strange and stiff to her own ears

"Yes, I think that will be for the best, for both of us," Daniel agreed

Gwen found herself staring at him, still finding it hard to believe that he was so cold and unmoving towards her, it felt like someone had stabbed her in the heart. Despite all that had happened in the past, there was something she wanted him to know before she left his life for good. So she now took a step closer to him, her hand going up to rest on his cheek as she stared up at him with as much sincerity as she could muster in her eyes.

"I know you are filled with regrets about the past, and what happened between us, and it is probably too late to put things right, but despite that, I want to tell you, that you were the only man that I ever really cared about" she informed him, her voice shaky with emotion

But she never had the chance to see his response to this, as the door suddenly opened and Clara appeared.

Daniel and Gwen immediately moved apart. Clara found her eyes going from one to the other, with Martha's words and accusations still ringing in her ears, But now, as she stepped into the room, she still did not want to accept any of it could be true.

"Father, Martha has been saying the most horrible things about you and Lady Hawthorne.. She said you both helped cause the death of my mother.. Just tell me she is lying again, and none of it is true!" She found herself looking from Gwen to her father again, for the signs of horror, indignation, or even angry disgust at such a suggestion.

But instead her father looked stricken, and Gwen shifted uneasily, unable to look Clara in the eye.

"I-I really think I should go now," Gwen spoke up shakily just wanting to get away

"Yes, once more your very presence seems to curse my life" Daniel returned coldly

Gwen let out a small sob, "I never meant for all this to happen I am so sorry, forgive me" she said brokenly looking from Clara to Daniel, and then she turned and hurried away.

Daniel watched her make her way to the front door to let herself out, and then noticed Martha was now hastily making her way up the stairs.

He turned to his stunned daughter, grabbing her by the shoulder's "What did Martha say to you exactly?" he demanded fiercely

Clara gulped, a little alarmed by the intensity in her father's eyes and still confused about what was going on.

"She implied that you and Lady Hawthorne were having some sort of affair, only mother found out about a handkerchief belonging to Lady Gwen that was in your possession. She said that was why mother got upset and fell down the stairs.. But it is all lies, isn't it, it isn't true?" Clara stared at her father wide eyed and hopeful, wanting him to confirm she was right.