~ 10 ~

The dining table was already set and we all sat down together with her parents.

The house was filled with laughters as we eat our food. Everyone was giggling and talking about their day.

Is this how it feels like to have a family?

A tiny part of me envied Kiyoka.

I felt a slight emptiness on the inside, thinking of how dull my life is without my mother.

As I closed my eyes, the memories flooded back into my mind.

When I was getting ready for elementary school-

"Hurry up and eat your hotdog! You'll be late for school again," Mother warned.

"I won't. Just let me pack my bag first," I replied.

"Tsk tsk. Come on! Let me do it for you. Go eat your food. It's important that you don't skip breakfast,"

"Arigato Okasan!"

"This is the last time I will help you. You need to be independent, Tsubaki! I'm not around forever to help you,"

"Buuut I'm still a kid! Okasan is young and beautiful. Okasan will live foreverrr! "

"Ara, this kid! Hurry up and eat!"

When I found her crying in her room-

"Okasan, why are you crying?"

"You cry when you feel a rush of emotions, sweetheart,"

"Rush of emotions? What do mean? Am I making you upset?"

"No. You're a good child. I just missed Otosan very much."

"Ah! Otosan is cruel for not being around."

"No he isn't. He is a wonderful man. It's a shame that you don't get to spend time with him. It'd have been worthwhile, eh?"

"Okasan. Do you love him?"

"I do. I love him as much as I love you." She smiled.

"Hm.. Maybe you shouldn't love him so much if he makes you cry! I hate to see you getting sad"

"Tsubaki.. Crying does not necessary means you're sad. I cherished the moments when he was around that is why I cried. "

"But he shouldn't make you cry.. Crying is bad."

"Crying makes us feel better, eventhough the circumstances may not change one bit. Bottling up your emotions are worse."

"I still don't get it.."

She laughed.

"One day, you'll soon come to realize what I mean. I want you to be proud of your father like I am,"

" Okasan! What about me??"

"I am proud to have you. Without my cheeky daughter, I would have no one to care for." She pinched my cheek to which I giggled.

When she made my favourite meal-

"Mmmh! You make the best fishcakes in the world!"

" Is that so? Have more!" She placed more fishcakes onto my bowl.

"Arigato! Okasan! Did you know that if we had a restaurant, it would have been a 10-star restaurant!?"

"Heheh. I'm not sure about that. Everyone has different tastebuds, Tsubaki. It might not work."

"Of course it will! I know because my friends loved it. Besides, your fishcake aren't common in japan. You added potatoes and black peppers into it,"

"Then, will you help me in the running the restaurant? I can't possibly be alone to take charge of the business."

"Mhm! Don't worry about that. Leave those issues to me,"

"It's settled. We can start from now. What fish did I use for my fishcake?"

"Eh..Eto..That's not for me to answer! I don't know what you added..but it turn out incredible!"

"Hmhm. Tsubaki is only expert at eating eh? I guess my restaurant shall flop"  she teased.

"Okasan!!"

Tap!

Someone tapped me on the shoulder, the images before disappeared.

"Ayano! Are you alright?" Kiyoka whispered, raising her eyebrows at me.

The others were busy laughing away at the jokes Kazehaya made. Meanwhile Ken was groaning at what seems to be a joke pointing to him.

I nodded and consumed the egg that was on my fork.

"I miss my mother."

"Ahh! I miss her too. She was a cool lady. Don't be upset alright? I'm sure she's watching you where ever she is, " Kiyoka confronted.

I smiled and nodded.

"Have my rice Onee-chan! You need carbohydrates!" Ken pushed his bowl towards Asami.

"Ken! Finish up your food! " his mother exclaimed, "don't make it a habit to offer people your leftovers!"

"Okasan!!" He pouted. Embarrassed, being scolded infront of everyone.

"Hehe. I personally don't mind eating his food." Asami remarked, blushing.

"Okasan's right. You wouldn't like it if I offer you my half-eaten food, would you?!" Kiyoka shook her head.

"Hmpf. I would! I haven't received any because you eat everything up. Onee-chan needs to get on a diet!" Ken sticked his tongue out at his sister.

"Excuse me! I'm fit-

"Enough. Quit quarrelling, you two. Respect our guests" His dad interrupted.

Both of them glared and ate their food while I brought up topics to clear things up.

Later,

"Thank you for having us. It was delicious." I bowed.

Asami and Kazehaya bowed as well.

"No problem at all. My family were happy to have you guys today," Kiyoka beamed, "they wish you a speedy recovery from your wound,"

I thanked her.

"Should we go to the arcade? I mean it's early!" Kiyoka suggested.

"I have nothing to do today," Asami agreed.

"Yeah me neither. Are you coming ,Kazehaya?"

Before he could respond, a buzzing noise was heard and he instantly answered the call.

"Sakura! What's up?"

The three of us looked at him.

"Hm..now? Alright. Wait for me. I'll reach there in a few minutes," he replied before placing it back in his pocket.

"What happened?"

"She said she need some help with packaging. No idea what is it for though. I'll see you guys later. Ja ne." He waved.

"Well, let's get going, guys." I said, walking to the bus stop.

The three of us boarded the bus, while chit-chatting.

After a long silence, Asami suddenly announced.

"I've decided that I will confess my feelings to him tomorrow."

"Really? What boosted your confidence?" Kiyoka joked.

Asami pinched her side to which she yelped.

"I just want to let him know before it's too late," She sighed.

"Are you worried that he falls for Sakura? I doubt he likes her that way. Don't worry," Kiyoka assured.

"Hm..Good luck Asami. Whatever he might say.. don't let it affect you deeply," I tried to sound casual, however worried for her.

"I'll be fine. At least he will know how I feel about him," Asami said calmly.

Ah.. Am I terrible for not being honest about it to her?..