Ch 25: Mercy

Flora POV:

I danced with my sisters during our party, teaching them the best I could the stiff movements of a waltz during my wedding ball, but my husband occupied most of my time.

Twirling me around in my ridiculous wedding gown inspired by my dearest Eilwyn.

I did not have any fun when i was learning my dancing, but I found myself smiling during my third dance with my new husband as he corrected my posture and lifted me from the ground. He was not supposed to do such things in a formal dance but it was fun to feel weightless for a moment.

There was much clapping and excitement at a wedding party, it was not too bad even with all the glances i was getting as we were greeted one by one.

After we had danced a while I was told I could sit and rest my feet so I did, on my throne next to Agnis, it was quite strange as people began to greet us and give us blessings and gifts.

We got a set of silver daggers I know not what to do with. From a king of a distant land.

They were apparently very valuable though. One for me and one for my husband.

I smiled and thanked the important people one by one as I was given many a blessings and shiny objects that were worth much.

In most lands at least.

Many of my gifts held no value to me as on iris, gold and silver is as common as garden weeds. Something told me it was best to not mention such things to any of these powerful people.

King Agni seemed disinterested in the entire thing, examining the weapons when they were gifted but otherwise the duty of host was left to me.

I dare say the only time he perked up was when one of the high standing lords of his kingdom presented the most peculiar gift of them all.

He gifted us his daughter.

A dainty woman with a pretty face and honey colored hair.

I was at a loss for words as the hall fell silent, people seemed utterly shocked and even appalled, which was understandable.

The looks to pity I received was not.

I leaned toward tilly, where she stood at a distance, looking rather angry, I whispered to her rather confused, "is it custom to give ones child to a newlywed couple?"

Tilly sill looked mad, "it is a way of disputing your marriage my queen. It is a gift to the king not you, saying that you are not good enough this man is giving his daughter of marriageable to Agni for if he changes his mind, it is a way of saying you are unfit."

I blinked at the offered girl. She met my gaze.

Then smirked at me.

I did my best not to shrink back into my chair.

Finally after looking her over Agni spoke, "I do believe the sisters of my new bride had gifted me what the people of iris call a Sunlion, as a symbol of peace between our two lands and an acknowledgment of my houses sigil. Are you offering me a snack for my new pet?"

Veni and Chi gave him a Sunlion? I looked to my sisters and smiled gratefully.

They smiled back, Chi even winked.

The man and his daughter on the other hand looked a bit astounded.

Agni went on, "hes only a cub now though, i suppose we would have to lock you away until he is big enough to rip out your liver with one swipe of his claws." The king drummed his fingers on his throne, "or I could execute you both now. that seems like a much better idea. someone brings me one of my lovely new weapons."

I stared in shock as a ripple of nervousness went through the room. 

Peering at the girl through my snowy lashes I worked up the courage to speak, "Agni...my husband why must we shed blood on our wedding day. is this not a celebration?"

He barely even spared me a glance, "I am sure I would still be able to celebrate our union with their heads on spikes, wife."

"She is so young, no older than I, and perhaps some mercy on this day will grant us luck."

There was tension in his shoulders, he did not like my challenging him.

I did not mean to do so, I simply do not do well with blood. "you know best for this land but it is a wedding my king. as your gift to me, would you spare the lives of these two?"

He looked to me now, eyes scanning me slowly, "you are too kind my queen. if this is what you wish for as my new bride so be it, their lives will be spared but for their insult to you and in turn my choice of you as my bride, they will be stripped from their titles and banished from any lands under the ownership of Taragon and burned with the brand of traitors."

I still found this harsh and unreasonable but nodded, taking his hand, "thank you."

He raised my hand to his lips and kissed my gloved knuckles as they were taken away, "I would not want to ruin your joyous mood I suppose, you have been seeming to have much fun. He was our last gift giver anyways. now. onto the entertainment."

He snapped his fingers and the room seemed to shift accordingly as performers danced and dueled, told jokes and sang songs, and much more.

I found myself having a good time again, eating what savory food I could as the ball went by.

I even got to try tarts made from strange fruits, I rather liked them.

The ball went on for many hours, people making merry as the sun dipped below the horizon and stars speckled the sky.

It was when the bells chimed to signify the time having reached the peak of night that my maids tapped me on the shoulder, "your highness?"

I looked over to them with a small smile, "yes girls?"

"...it is time we help you from the gown so you may prepare yourself for your wedding night."

I flushed a bit, "oh..right, yes. okay."

I had forgotten..

"how long do I have?"

"a half hour, we must hurry."

Hesitantly, I stood, following the two girls from the party.