Ch 3: In Every Myth

A/N: Hi guys~ Some of you said last ch made u sad....haha it wasn't supposed to XD not really anyways, it was more of Flora still seeing something of beauty even when she was faced with something ugly..

Like her father being forced to prostitute her off to some strange king to save his own ass.

Thats pretty ugly.

~~

Flora POV:

Nearly everyone in the closest town woke before dawn to see me off at the docks.

It was a nice surprise as stepped up to the ship that would take me to my future, it forced me to smile one last time.

I would always smile when facing my people, they had embraced me for a young age despite 'cursed' being attached to the title of Princess, they loved me all the same. For that I will always smile for them and I will never forget their kindness.

As the boat moved from the wooden planks of the docks I turned to them, my people, my family, my country, everything I was leaving behind and I curtsied for them, my head down. 

There was silence and then a mass cry for their princess, for me. 

I never did understand why it was I could not curtsy to my people. without them I would never have a kingdom to call me princess, there are no others who deserve my respect as much as my people do.

Turning from them I stared at the sky, its red hues quickly fading to blue.  

Bringing my stone whistle to my lips I closed my eyes, its sound high and sweet.

Perhaps I will not be left alone in this country, not if he choses to join me.

The members of the royal guard let out a collective noise of surprise as a soft weight landed on my shoulder.

I could not help my smile as he chewed on my hood, making low cooing noises, "Eilwyn you came?"

The majestic white bird pecked my head lightly as he always did when I said something to offend him.

Of course he was coming with, he has been by my side since I was a child, his pleasant warmth heating even the coldest days of Iris.

"Thank you Eilwyn. for being my friend and ally."

Another soft caw as I looked into the birds golden eyes, his snowy feathers ruffled from the wind.

He looked at me for a moment longer, head cocked to the side before he rose into the air with gusto and flew forward into the distance.

Onward I suppose, onward into the unknown he was telling me. 

~~

eight moons and nine suns on my fathers fastest ship, to arrive at the Kingdom of Taragon, Another four moons until I reach that Capitol if I were to go upon horseback.

I did not know how to ride a horse. The beasts never took kindly to my strange coloring, neither did the beautiful one presented to me by the high guards of Taragon when I arrived at the port city of metonia. 

The guards themselves were surprised to see me, my white hair blending into the white cloak my father told me to wear, and the large white bird perched on my shoulder tail feathers so long they reached near my hips.

I imagined I looked a bit like a snow person then.

I looked upon the large men, unsure why so many were required to meet me. Surly the king needed his high guards. 

After a moment of still shock the five men bowed.

I stood perfectly, nervously still, was it custom in this country for me to curtsy back? I was unsure we rarely did such formal things in Iris, saving them for the most needed and respected moments.

Instead I looked to Eilwyn, his soft caw encouraging me to say something.

"u-uhm hello my name is Flora Duval..and this is Eilwyn."

They stared at me for another painfully long moment, I was not attune to such things.

The largest of the guards cleared his throat, "my apologies Princess, welcome to Taragon's port city Metonia." 

I nodded slightly, "thank you..for meeting me here."

New people always made me nervous, they were not simple like plants and animals, they felt many emotions at one time, I could never tell where I stand with them where as other living things I always knew.

They seemed to relax a little at my shy demeanor, I could not blame them for being on guard at first, being labeled the cursed princess of Iris has its negative aspects.

The largest man bowed again, "I am captain Conall head of the royal guards. my men and I are to escort you to the capitol city of Ashbel."

"..Ashbel" What a lovely name for a city, "I am sure it is beautiful. Right Eilwyn? doesn't that sound nice?"

Eilwyn cooed softly and smuggled against my cheek.

It was a sadder sound than I had hoped from him but he was trying. His feet streamed a steady confidence into my bones, his homesickness tucked neatly behind his loyalty.

Eilwyn was a complex creature but a smart one, I trusted his wing span to lead me in the right direction. his snowy color and steady warmth bringing light upon the darkest of times.

"Princess..if you don't mind my asking what kind of bird is that?"

I blinked at him, "Eilwyn is a Phoenix captain, although rare due to his coloring...or lack of. do you not have such birds in Taragon?"

The men stared at Eilwyn, "no..no princess here things such of that are disregarded as legend and myth."

I frowned a bit, "I see..well perhaps Taragon has forgotten that in every myth there is fact and truth."

The man stared at me.

A blush crawled across my face as I stood utterly mortified, how could I say such a thing? What if it were to get back to the king? How foolish those words were.

How foolish of me.