Ch 4: Honor.

A/N Are we ready to meet the king of Taragon?

~~

Flora POV:

The women of this county wear such odd clothing.

How are they to hunt in such a restricting bodice? How are they to run or climb in such long skirts?

They are very pretty though, even the girls with lees delightful faces give off a sense of beauty in the frills and long skirts.

How pretty the people of Taragon are, so different than my own people.

Their skin tones often lighter than that of my people, so light in fact I dare to think them as pale as I.

surly the king must know this, that if he wants a bride with lily white skin he could gaze outside the palace walls and into the towns below.

"Princess?"

I looked to the captain of the guards, "hm?"

"Are you well? you often stare off into the fields as we pass?"

I flushed, "o-oh..sorry. I was just looking at the clothing the people of Taragon wear."

He eyed my cloak for a moment, "it doesn't seem that much different than your own, proper and right.

Proper..I wonder if what I was wearing beneath the cloak was improper. Is that why father and mother told me to wear it?

how odd, the only ones to wear a skirt above their ankles here are children? How very odd. I nodded softly at the man and looked down to my horse. It was a wonder they got me onto the poor thing, it was startled for quite some time.

A distant caw drew my attention to Eilwyn, flying ahead of us, leading the way for me once more.

"Tis a beautiful bird, seems to be smart too, hasn't strayed off the right path."

"He is very smart..and proud. Eilwyn is a good companion to have."

The group fell into silcnce, one more moon before I was at the palace to meet my future husband.

What and odd though, my having a husband.

No one on Iris thought it would happen due to rumors outsiders spread after seeing me.

 After all it was not my people who gave me the title of cursed.

~~

The palace here is much much larger than my fathers.

I dare say it may be three times as large.

Eilwyn made a low hiss as we passed through the gates, his sturdy feet gripping my shoulder.

I wondered what had him on edge as I removed myself from the horse and followed a young woman to what I was informed to be a bath house.

It is strange that the people of Taragon bathe indoors year round. In Iris it is often only done in the coldest points of winter.

Still the woman left me to my own devices, her long black skirt swishing as she exited the room. 

Eilwyn stared down at the water as I removed my cloak and leathers, "strange isn't it Eilwyn? to bathe indoors."

He flapped his wings in agreement before jumping upon my shoulder once more.

He was cautious not to get his feathers wet until after I had made my way deep enough into the water for him to determine its safety.

I stared at a basket that was given to me full of scrubs and the like, "they all smell like flowers.."

Eilwyn cawed in annoyance.