Baby Payne-Chapter 10

Start from the beginning

The doctor seemed happy that Liam was being so into the questions. "She should be eating whenever she feels hungry sometimes even more. The baby will be able to tell her when she needs to eat, but she does need to be eating healthy foods."

Liam asked a few more questions, but then the doctor said he would start with the scan thing. He stood up and started to walk towards the door. "Okay, so I just have to go grab some of the gel and then we can get started."

The door shut and I turned to Liam. "Did you really have to ask about the food?"

He gave me a smile. "You know I want to keep you safe. Plus, I wanted to show you that I'm right."

"I know how to feed myself." I protested.

"But you don't know how to feed the baby properly."

I was about to say something to him when the doctor came back into the room. Liam was still clutching my hand, and when the doctor opened the bag of gel, my hand clenched down on his. He brought my hand up to his face and kissed it, holding it there and making me feel more comfortable.

He had been getting more and more touchy feely ever since this morning, and it was kind of weird, but nice at the same time. Since I had never really had anyone like me like this before, it was nice. He was the first person to be interested in me, and I couldn't help but saver every single thing he did.

"This will be a bit cold."

He was so right. When he put the gel on my stomach, I clenched down in Liam's hand. Liam laughed, but there was a slight pain from the fact that I had squeezed his hand. I didn't even think I really squeezed his hand that hard, defiantly not hard enough to hurt him.

Giving him a weird look, I looked up at the screen. I had no idea what he was going to do when I gave birth if that had hurt him a little. He would have to grow some sort of pain resistance if he was going to be in the same room as me when I gave birth, holding my hand.

The screen lit up when the doctor pressed the little remote to my lower stomach. My eyes roamed around the screen hastily, waiting for something to appear that resembled a baby. I couldn't see anything but a slightly blue screen. The doctor moved the little device around, but nothing really looked like a baby. There were little dots on the screen, but nothing that stood out.

When I looked over to the doctor, his face wasn't happy like it had been before. He was looking at the screen with furrowed eyebrows and a slight frown. My stomach twisted and a hot flash of fear slammed through me. Something was wrong, his face wasn't one that would be shown if everything was okay.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my voice laced with fear.

He gave me a fake smile, one that I saw right through. He stood up and spoke as he walked towards the door. "I just have to go talk with my supervisor for a second. I'll be back." Then he shut the door, and we were left alone.

"Somethings wrong." I turned to Liam and enclosed both my hands around his, looking for some sort of comfort while I was freaking out.

He gave me a smile, but it was tense. "Everything will be fine."

"What if its not?"

"It will be." He tried to assure me and himself at the same time.

Tears were burning at the corner of my eyes and threatening to fall down my cheeks in a series of sad waves. "What if somethings wrong, and something bad happened to the baby? I couldn't even see anything on the screen!" I cried, but refused to let the tears through.

He wrapped his warm hands around mine, his big ones easily covering my tiny ones. "Let's just wait and see what's going on. We don't even know if there's anything wrong."