Weightless Lullabies | Chapter 13

Spencer's Outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=15871178

Vote and Comment!

xoxo Natasha <3

Jack had asked me to go steady with him two weeks after our first date. At first, I had told him no and I could tell that he was disappointed, btu he never stopped trying. I was afraid that once I started going out with him, he would turn out to be like Jason and I wasn't ready for that. Ever. A few days after I had said no, Alex confronted me. He said that if I thought Jack would turn out like Jason, I was wrong. He was a sweet guy and would treat me right. Alex had become like a best friend to me, and I appreciated his advice. The next day I told Jack that I would be his girlfriend. He was so excited he started jumping up and down, it was funny.

We had been going out for a while, and it was now late January and everyone was starting to look at colleges and universities. Things were getting worse at home, and I was trying to spend more and more time away from home. For some unknown reason my dad was getting angrier and drinking more. Susan and Cole wanted me to come and live with them and said 'Screw the law. We won't have you hurt anymore.'. I told them that I would be fine, my birthday was soon and I would be able to leave soon. Jack and his friends remained in the dark, at times I felt bad for not telling them but it was better for them to not know. My excuses for my bruises and scratches were getting stupider and more far fetched.

"Hey Penny!" Jack greeted, kissing me on the lips. "How was UCLA?"

"Good. Next week I'm going to see the University of Phoenix and NYU. What about you?" I asked looking at Jack and Rian.

"We're not looking at colleges." Rian told me. "We're looking at record labels."

Jack nodded. "Next week we're going to check out Hopeless Records."

Rian left us when he saw Kara. Jack and I walked to his car and got in. We pretty much just drove around until it was nine. Jack's mom called and said the she wanted him home, his sister had just flown in and they were going to have a family dinner. Jack dropped me off at my house and drove away.

Numbness filled my body as I walked to the front door. It no longer matter whether or not the lights were on, or his car was in the driveway. If wasn't home, when he did get home I would get a welcoming slap, punch, or kick or all three. I ran up the stairs and into my room.

Alex

We walked out of Hopeless Records office with smiles on our faces. We had gotten signed and would be starting tour after high school ended. We were all smiling and laughing, we were ecstatic.

"I can't wait to tell Kara." Rian exclaimed. "Hell, I'll tell everyone."

I laughed at him, but out of all of us, I had to be the most excited. I hadn't applied to any colleges or universities and if any of the record companies didn't want us, I wouldn't have known what to do after school. I got into my car with Rian and we drove back home. Jack followed Rian and I until we passes Spencer's house, Jack stopped and waved to us as we drove on.

I stopped at Rian's house and we got out and walked into his house.

"So," Anna said, kissing Rian's cheek. "how did it go?"

"We have got a contract!" Rian yelled. "We start touring after high school."

Anna, Rian, and I talked about life after high school. Or plans for the band and how long we planned on doing it. I had only been there for a few minutes, when I got a text from Jack.

Come to Penny's house. NOW!

Why? I answered back.

Just hurry!

"I have to go." I told Rian and his mom. "Jack needs me at Penny's house."

"Okay, bye." Rian said, waving at me.

I walked out of the house and got into my car an drove back to Spencer's house. When I pulled up I heard yelling, screaming, and pleading. I saw Jack standing at th front door and turn around as he heard me pull up. There was a look of absolute pain on his face.

"Dude." I yelled, running up to the house. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know." he screamed. "I got to her house and heard yelling and screaming. I knocked to come in, but she just told me to leave. I have no idea what's happening."

There was a crash and a scream. Then everything went quite and the front door opened and a man with blond hair, brown eyes, and a scruffy beard stumbled out of the house. He looked angry and volatile, he walked to his grey truck and drove away.

Jack was in the house as soon as the door opened and I was right behind him. The house had glass shattered on the floor and what looked like drops of blood. There were certain parts of the house that were messy and looked like a hazard zone.

"Alex!" I heard Jack yell.

I ran upstairs to where I heard Jack's voice and stopped when I got to what I assumed was Penny's room. Jack was on the floor with Penny in his arms, she had bruises on the parts of her skin that was showing and new bruises that were coming up.

"Penny." Jack said quietly. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she croaked. "I just f-fell."

"Penny." Jack shouted. "Don't lie to us, this has been happening for a while. Has your dad been doing this to you?"

"Jack, you don't need to worry. I'll be fine, it happens. I'm used to it."

"Penny, why did you tell us?" I asked her. "This had obviously been happening for a while, we're your friends why didn't you tell us?"

"Because, it wasn't something I wanted you to know." she explained to us, sobbing quietly. "I've dealt with this since my mom died. I'm used to it and can deal with it, it's been getting worse since I started going to see universities but it's fine. I'll be eighteen soon and then I'm gone."

Penny's eyes shut and she started to breathe heavily.

"I think we need to get her to a hospital." I told Jack as he shook her, trying to get her to wake up. "Now."

"Okay. I'll take her, can you pack a bag for her?" he asked me.

Jack picked up Spencer, cradling her in his arms and walked downstairs and to his car. I found a small duffel bag and packed some clothes into it. I saw her cell phone and grabbed it.