Weightless Lullabies | Chapter 32

It's not over yet....

xoxo Natasha <3

Graduation Day.

In a word, it was actually great. Ever since last night, when I forgave every bad thing that had ever happened to me, I felt great. It was like a huge burden had been lifted off my shoulders. After today, I would only have to come back to get my marks, I wouldn’t see any of these people again. And that was comforting.

“Everyone please line up!” Mr. Vegas, the Principal, shouted to the seniors. “In alphabetical order. Ms. Johnson, that is not where you are supposed to be!”

It was a little dizzying as mass amounts of black and white moved around to get in there spot. Due to a lack of vowels, Jack and I were two people away from each other. I saw him make eye contact with me when I first arrived with Susan and Cole, I didn’t glare or sneer, I just stared.

“Okay everyone.” Mr. Vegas called. “It’s time to walk and then prepare for an hour of speeches.”

Everyone groaned.

The ceremony was as long and as boring as Mr. Vegas had said. First Ms. Picinini spoke to us and then the guest speaker, and then Tammy, our valedictorian. As Tammy droned on about the future and what it held for us, I thought of what the future held for me. I knew with absolute solitude, that it would not hold love. After my high school experience, I didn’t want it.

One by one, Mr. Vegas called up the students to receive their diplomas, everyone clapped when we walked the stage, shook Mr. Vegas’ hand and took pictures with him.

“It is my great please to present to you the graduating class of 2006!” Mr. Vegas said into the microphone.

All the seniors stood up and threw their hats into the air, I took off my white cap and joined in. I saw Jack take off his black cap and smile as he threw it in the air.

“Congratulations Spencer!” Cole said to me as he came up to me and hugged me. “My little girl really is all grown up now.”

“Stop it Cole.” Susan said. “You’re going to make her cry.”

I smiled at them, I heard a scream and barley had time to brace myself as Katy ran toward me; gripping me in a hug.

“Oh my God!” she squealed. “I can’t believe we’re done.”

“I can, and I am so happy.” I said. “Are you going to come to dinner with us?”

“I can’t.” she said sadly. “My parents are taking me out too, and have a surprise for me.”

As we parted ways, I heard someone calling my name. I turned around and it was Mrs. Barakat. Thankfully, Jack wasn’t with her and surprisingly, she didn’t look angry.

“Hi, Mrs. Barakat.” I greeted. “How are you?”

“I’m good.” she said, hugging me. “I’m sorry to hear that you and my son broke up. I had liked you a lot and Jack seemed very fond of you.”

“Yeah,” I said smiling sadly. “Well you know how it is, we’re both going to be really far away from each other now and we just decided that long distance wasn’t our thing.”

“Yes, he said the same thing.” she sighed. “So, what do you want to study next year?”

“Probably music.” I said. “I’d like to be a music teacher or anything to do with music really.”

“That’s nice.” she said. “I’m sure you’ll do well in it. Jack mentioned that you played the drums and guitar.”

“Yes I do.” I smiled. “I also sing but not very well.”

She laughed, I looked around and saw that Jack was approaching us, fast.

“Well, I have to get going.” I said. “My parents are taking me out to dinner and then I have to get packing.”

“I never did meet your parents.” Mrs. Barakat said. “May I meet them?”

I sighed, but nodded.

“Susan, Cole.” I said motioning to them. “This is Jack’s mom, Theresa Barakat. Theresa, these are my parents.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” Cole said shaking her hand.

“You too.” Mrs. Barakat said. “It’s lovely to meet you.”

Susan and Mrs. Barakat continued to have a little chat, until I nudged Cole as I saw Jack making his way over.

“I’m sorry Theresa, we must be going.” Cole interrupted. “Our dinner reservations are in a few hours and we still need to drive into the city.”

“Alright well it was nice talking to you.” she said smiling. “Now, I must go find my son.”

We said our goodbye’s and left for the parking lot. We drove to my house so I could pick up the things that I had packed and get my car.

After I destroyed the interior of my house, Cole decided that I would come and live with them until university started. So I had packed all of my clothes and other belongings that I hadn’t ruined and left them at the door this morning.

“You guys go on ahead.” I said , as I stepped out of the car. “I have to do one more thing before I leave.”

“What is that?” Susan asked.

“I need to give something to Alex.” I said. “He lives close, I’ll only be a few minutes.”

“Then we’ll drive with you to his house and then hit the road.” Susan said.

I nodded. I took out my keys, opened my door and picked up my suitcases. I was leaving this house and it’s bad memories behind and when I came back, it would be a whole new place.

I walked up to Alex’s house for what was probably the last time ever. I was finally leaving this place and when I came back I would know no one.

I placed the letter in his mailbox, got back in my car, and left the place Lutherville.

I never looked back.