Weightless Lullabies | Chapter 5

Vote and Comment

xoxo Natasha <3

Amber Pacific was awesome! We didn't get there in time to see the opening act, but judging from the applause that had sounded when we walked in, they were good.

After their set, Susan and I went back to the bar and had drinks. We both had our fair share of men hit on us, and we both turned them down. once or twice I thought I saw Jack, but then I realized that it must have been the vodka.

We had been at the bar for about two hours, when Susan said that it was time for us to leave.

"Why?" I asked, my words slightly slurred. "I'm having fun, you can go, I'll take a taxi back home."

"I know you are sweetie." Susan laughed. "I would let you stay, but there is a guy that keeps looking at you and I don't trust it. So come on, we need to get you back."

"Okay," I said, standing up with Susan's help.

She lead me outside to her car, and up me in the backseat so I could sleep on the ride back to Lutherville. I think I stayed awake for about ten minutes before I fell asleep. I had dreamt that my mom was still alive, and that we were the happy family we once had been.

"....wake up," I heard someone say from above me.

I groaned and opened my eyes. It was Susan, she was hovering above me, trying to lift me into a sitting positions. Which to say the truth, was easy.

"Up you get Spencer," she said. "Come on, you need to get inside and sleep it off."

Steadily, I got up and grabbed my purse from the car.

"Bye, Susan," I said hugging her. "Thanks for tonight, I'll see you in two weeks. Have fun on your trip."

Susan hugged me back. "We will, and we'll bring you back something amazing too. Love you sweetheart." she kissed my forehead, and got back into her car.

I watched her drive down the street and out of sight before I entered the house. I shut the door quietly behind me, trying not to wake me dad if he was home. Carefully, I tiptoed into the living room to check if he was in there, he wasn't. I went up the stairs and went top his room first instead of mine, but he wasn't in there either. I sighed a sigh of relief, I went to my room and changed into a pair of sweats.

I looked at the clock on my bedside table, it was only eleven. Normally I wouldn't be back until three in the morning, and even though I was somewhat drunk, I wasn't tired anymore and felt restless inside the house. I donned my jacket and shoes, put my cellphone, keys, and ten dollars into my pocket and left the house.

There was a park near here, it was about a five minute walk. My mom always used to take me when we came here for the summer, we would spend hours at the park, laughing and playing.

When I reached the park, I wasn't surprised to find it deserted. Most children would be at home, if not asleep, by this time. I walked straight over to the swings, and began to pump my legs to get higher and higher off the ground. I couldn't see much, because the only light that there was, was from a street lamp. This, I decided, was when the park was most beautiful. Not when it was full of children, with smiles on their faces, the joy that so obviously shone in their eyes. But now, when it was empty, deserted, quiet. It was peaceful.

But the fact there was only one light, did not distract me from the fact that there was a figure that was fast approaching. The figure looked too big to be a female, so I assumed it was a male. And when he stepped under the street light, I saw the matt of blond hair that was Jason. In the fleeting second that I saw him illuminated, I could tell that he had a look of lust and anger in his eyes.

Fear quickly overtook me, and I jumped off of the swing and ran. I heard the heavy steps that were his footsteps running after me. I didn't look back, if I did it would just slow me down. I ran toward my house, only to realize that it was moot point. He knew how to get in, with or without a key. So instead of running to my house, I ran past it, looking for any house that had a light on.

"Spencer!" he yelled. "Get back here, now!"

I just ran faster, I knew he would be furious, but I refused to be within his grasps again. I kept running, pushing my tired legs faster and over exerting lungs that weren't used to running.

I could still here Jason behind me, telling me to stop now and he wouldn't hurt me, that I was his and I had to listen to him. Finally, after running over five blocks, I saw a house with a light on in the living room and one bedroom. I took my chance at looking back, to see where Jason was. He has behind me, but was gaining fast. Which shouldn't have surprised me, he was on the track team all through high school.

I ran up the steps of the house and rang the door bell. I looked back, and could see Jason getting even closer. Panic took me again. I started pounding on the door as well as ringing the bell.

"Come on." I whispered hurriedly, keeping my eyes on Jason. "Open up."

My eyes on Jason, I didn't notice when the door opened and someone was standing in front of me until I pounded again, but instead of a hollow 'thud' I heard an 'oof'.

I looked up into the eyes of my saviour, and pushed him back inside his own house before Jason came any closer. I shut the door and locked it. My back went against the door, my chest going up and down, trying to get more air into my lungs.

"So," the familiar voice said, startled. "What brings you here?"

I had just run over five blocks into the house of Alex Gaskarth.