Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Chase

She drives me so fucking crazy.

I can't stand being with her, but damn, I couldn't stand not being with her either. She just makes my life a living hell, a speeding rollercoaster whipping me around in every direction with new twists and turns every day.

In case it wasn't obvious, the she I'm referring to is Hailey.

She pulled her lips back away from mine and we were both breathing heavily, though our faces were still mere inches apart. Her shirt was strewn somewhere else in my room along with my own tee. Hailey was exquisite, that much was evident to me. She was toned with tight abs along her abdomen and while her breasts weren't double d's, they seemed like the perfect fit for her. And no matter what her body looked like under her clothes, she was still my mate, and she will still always be the one and only perfect match for me.

"I think we should probably stop," She whispered lowly, her hot breath fanning my face as she did so.

Slowly pulling myself off of her, I let her sit up so that we sat next to each other again, this time me in just my pants and her in just her bra and leggings. A silence settled between the two of us, and it was surprisingly easy; there was no tension or anger anymore. It seemed as though being together had dissipated all of the trouble between the two of us.

Sadly, that wasn't one hundred percent true, considering that she still is a hunter and is still responsible for the deaths of so many of my pack members. How she is going to become and accepted and loved Luna by the rest of the pack is beyond me, but perhaps it would come with time.

Hailey sighed, "So, that happened."

"Yeah, it did," I nodded in agreement.

"Well, did you like it?" She questioned so qietly and softly, it was actually hard for me to picture her as a bloodthirsty hunter; and the best one in the country, at that.

Looking at her so naked, not even in the physical sense, but the emotional kind broke me. She looked so weak and frail and scared, as though she had already lost everything, which in a way she sort of has. It nearly killed me to look at her like that. The only glimmer left in her eyes was the hope that shined when she looked up at me, biting her bottom lip innocently as she asked me that questioned. Bowing my head down, I placed a light feather kiss on her lips before giving her my quiet answer, "Yes."

She smiled and tucked a stray hair behind her ear, laughing slightly a light melodious tune that was like music to my ears.

Fuck, I'm whipped.

Interrupting us, a knock came at the door and she jumped, scrambling across the room to slip her shirt on over her head. Sighing, I made my way to the door, opening it to reveal an anxious-looking Lily, who was tugging at the hem of her shirt; a very uncharacteristic thing of her to do. She gave me a scrutinizing look before letting out a breath, "I want to talk to Hailey. Alone."

I nodded, "Okay."

Stepping out into the hall, I gestured towards my room and, hesitantly, she entered, closing the door behind her.

Frowning at my own bare torso, I shrugged before jogging downstairs and into the kitchen, snatching an apple from the fruit bowl and biting into it, the sound of the crispiness echoing for a few moment. As I continued my eating, my mind wandered to things all about Hailey. Her hair, her smile, her laugh, her tears, her knife, her secret identity-- everything. The good and the bad, the yin and the yang. She was both yang, the happy, positive light in my life as well as the yang, the dark, negative and heavy aspect in my life. She is the good in the bad and the bad in the good and came together in equilibrium.

The only question left is, do I still love her with the bad?

Despite my doubts and my fears, I knew the answer. I could hear my wolf chanting it loud and clear and my subconscious agreed with him.

Yes.

A door opening reached my ears and Lily and Hailey came into the kitchen, both with puffy red eyes and tear trails down their cheeks. The only source of happiness were the small smiled on their faces and their interlocked hands, which sort of made me jealous? Damn I seriously need to find my masculinity, wherever it is I dropped it.

"Did you two work everything out?" I questioned.

Hailey simply nodded while Lily exclaimed, "Yep! We are besties again, which means if you hurt her in any way I will chop you into itty-bitty pieces and feed you to the rogues."

At that Hailey chuckled, while I just swallowed, because I was at least 90% sure she wasn't even joking about that. Clearing my throat, I decided to move past that, "Alright, so now that that is out of the way, what should we do for dinner?"

"Pizza!" Lily exclaimed.

Hailey scrunched her nose as I saw out of the corner of my eyes, and I knew that meant she didn't want pizza. Whenever she wanted to say no but couldn't, I would always see her scrunch up her nose like that. I shook my head, "Nah, not pizza."

She sighed in defeat before jumping up, "Why don't you make your world famous lasagna?!"

At Lily's mention of my Italian cooking skills, she perked up and I smiled, "Yeah, sure. I'll make the lasagna if you make the homemade garlic bread."

My sister grinned, nodding, "You got it." She then turned to Hailey, "So, do you want to help me with the garlic bread or work with Chase on the lasagna?"

Her eyes flickered over to me for a second before answering, "I think I'll stick with Chase on this one. I'm better  with pasta."

Lily shrugged, "Okay, well I'm going to the store to pick up some ingredients. See ya!"

She left the two of us alone in the kitchen and I smiled at her, "So, how did it go?"

Hailey walked over to me and wrapped her arms around my waist and laid her head on my chest, catching me off guard. I reacted quickly though, and pulled her into me as my arms circled her small waist. She sighed into me, "It was good. We argued, we cried and then we laughed. She understood, eventually."

"I'm glad," I mumbled into her hair, placing a kiss on the top of her head.

It was the truth, too; I was just overall happy with Hailey right now. Even after what she did, what she lied about, she made me happy. And maybe it's the fact that I know there are no more secrets between us anymore, but I feel closer to her than ever. And it's not just because we're basically cuddling while standing right now, although that could be part of it.

Pulling away, I grabbed a box of lasagna noodles from the pantry and turned back at her, holding it up, "Come on, time to make some lasagna."

~

A/N: Wow, so uh, hi? Haven't been here in, like, forever but I'm here now! so HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!! I just wanted to say I'm grateful for all of you who read and support my story (or stories) and that I love you all :)

QOTC: What are you thankful for?