Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Hailey

Have you ever done something that seemed like a good idea at the time until you get deeper into the situation and realize you're fucked? Yeah, that's me right now. Standing in a room with Chase, Luke, Lily, Rebekah, Josh and Isaiah, I could barely keep my breathing under control. Why did I come here? Why was I doing this?

Because it's the right thing to do, I told myself even though I knew it wasn't the truth. The truth is I've begun to fall head over heels for Chase and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

"How do we learn the scent of the masking spray?" Lily spoke her first words to me since before everyone found out who I was.

I breathed in, "As werewolves, you're trained to follow a scent, to let a distinct scent lead you to your target. The masking spray eliminates a trackable scent, however it does have a weakness. If you follow the lack of a scent, you can find a hunter. As a hunter moves, they leave a trail of the spray behind them. It only lasts for a few hours until it wears off and you need to reapply." Pulling out the small bottle from my pocket, I tossed it to her and she caught it easily, popping the lid off and smellingit.

"It doesn't smell like anything," She stated flatly.

Nodding, I held my had out and she handed it back. Aiming the nozzle at my wrist, I spritzed it and held my arm out, "Go ahead, take a whiff."

Chase was the only one to step forward, meeting my eyes with his guarded ones before taking my arm and gently placing his nose against my wrist, breathing in the scent. Pulling back, he looked at me with a confused expression, "It smells metallic, almost like-- like...."

"Blood," I finished for him and he nodded. "That's because it is. There are iron ions in the chemical mixture, meaning that when it makes contact with the skin, it seeps through the pores and mixes in with our blood system, enhancing the iron supply in our bodies. So that's the scent you should follow; blood and iron."

Everyone around the room nodded in understanding and sniffed, picking up on the scent on my wrist.

Luke sneered at me, "How come I never smelled it when I came up to the scene of your victims?"

Instead of replying snarkily or angrily, I gave a calm and factual answer, "Because, A) you didn't know what to smell for and B) the iron and blood blended in with the werewolf's blood."

"So how can we tell the difference between blood and the masking spray?" Josh questioned.

Sighing, I pulled my red switchblade from my pocket and cut a small section on the side of my hand, "Smell the difference?"

After a few moments, they all began to nod.

"I think that's good for now," Chase said, and not wanting to argue with their Alpha, everyone left, leaving Chase and I alone.

He took my hand in his, assessing the minor slice in my hand. Frowning, he took my other hand and tugged me behind him, out of the room, down the hall and into what was obviously his room. Chase led me up to his bed, ordered me to sit and walked into the bathroom, leaving me with nothing to do but obey his command.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, I tried not to think about how soft and fluffy the mattress was.

Chase came back into the room, a small white box in his hand with a red cross on the top-- a first aid kit. He held my hand gingerly in his, wiping it clean of the blood. I sighed, "Chase I'm fine, really. You don't need to tend to me it's okay."

He looked at me, a struggling expression on his face, "But it want to."

Smiling, I nodded and let him get to work. He gently cleaned the cut out with an alcohol wipe before beginning to gingerly wrap my hand in gauze. As he did so, my mind began to wander back to the little yellow house that was surely by now being overrun by men whose testosterone levels were brimming over the edge. I thought about how they would attack this pack and along with it the people I've grown to care about for some reason. Especially Chase. And I thought of how if they can't learn everything I have to teach them, they'll all end up dead at the hands of the rest of the hunters, and I'll probably end up in that burning fire with them.

I didn't realize I was crying until Chase wiped the tear off my cheek, "Are you okay? Does it hurt that bad?"

Shaking my head, I smiled, "No, sorry I was just thinking that's all."

"Thinking about what?" He questioned, sliding up onto the bed next to me.

"A lot. Too much," I answered vaguely. "I guess I'm just scared is all, and I'm not really used to feeling like this. I haven't felt real fear like this since my parents--" my voice broke as I mentioned them. My parents. What would they think of me now, if they could see me helping the beings that killed them? But no, I told myself. Chase and his pack had nothing to do with their deaths. Alpha Jake did, and I already killed him.

He hushed me, whispering as he took my face in both hands, "Shh, hey look at me, Hailey, look at me." I did as I was told. "You have every reason to be scared right now, hell I'm fucking terrified! But we're all strong here, and we'll make it through this okay?"

"You don't know that," I retorted.

Chase nodded, "You're right, I don't."

And we sat there for a while, my face held in his hands, staring into his light crystal eyes, until he moved forward, pressing his lips to mine.

It was soft and gentle at first, like the whisper of the leaves rustling in the light breeze of a mild autumn day. As time went on, it deepened into a flurried frenzy like a blizzard as the kiss changed like the seasons. He pulled back panting and laid me down on the bed, hovering over me, "I'm so fucking done being gentle with you." 

"Good," I replied in a deep whisper, before tugging him by his shirt back into me, once again locking our lips in a heated synchronization. 

~

A/N: HI!!

So, I'm sort of back? Idk I'm going to try and update but here's this lil chapter for y'all for now!! It's getting pretty steamy! ;)

QOTC: is there anyone else you ship either Hailey or Chase with besides each other??

AOTC: i could see Joel and Hailey together tbh 🤔