Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Chase

She was ignoring me. Hailey wouldn't even look at me when she came back to school, which she had missed for three days. I went to her house every day, but she never answered. Her uncle would answer the door and glare at me, asking what the hell I did to her and why she was acting the way that she was. I would just shake my head, ask if I could see her and then he'd usually slam the door in my face. 

During lunch, she sat at a table alone in the corner of the cafeteria. I tried to approach her, but she immediately stood up and ran out of the room. It was killing me. And now we were in Chemistry. She had spoken with the teacher and traded lab partners, so that Lily and I were now partners. 

Hailey sat two desks in front of me and I stared at the back of her head longingly. Damn, I missed her and I never really realized how much I actually needed her. 

She had me wrapped around her perfect little finger and didn't even know it. 

Lily sighed, "You need to pull yourself together. Artemis, whoever the hell she may be, has been killing off one person a night. You can't be the Alpha we need when you're pining after Hailey. And at this rate, the whole pack will be dead in two months." 

I growled lowly, "Shut up." 

"Then get your head out of your ass!" She whisper yelled at me. "I know you really liked her, but you had to know this could and would happen-- she's human. It was bound to end. It's better earlier than later." 

Turning to look at her, I narrowed my eyes at her, "Aren't you her friend?" 

"I'm your sister first," she replied, a fierce look in her eyes. From my other side, Luke gave me a knowing look. He was still the only one who knew that Hailey is my mate. She then glared at Luke, "Mind your own business, Isaacs." 

He glared right back, "I am, Morgan." 

The day they actually address one another by their first names is the day that pigs fly and hell freezes over. Before they could tear into each other some more, I shot Luke a look that told him to drop it and he rolled his eyes, but turned away nonetheless. Lily, with pursed lips turned her attention back towards me, "So, can you please stop staring at Hailey like a depressed puppy?" 

"I can't help it," I replied gruffly. 

She rolled her eyes, "And why is that?" 

"Because she's my mate!" I snapped and her jaw dropped. I guess she wasn't expecting that one, which is saying something because my sister is typically someone you can never catch off guard.

Lily swallowed, "How long have you known, Chase?" 

"Since her first day." I answered. 

"Son of a bitch," She swore and turned away from me. Then, she looked to Luke, who was already waiting for her to do so, "Did you know?" 

He nodded. Without warning, a sharp pain entered my leg and I looked down to see scissors sticking out of my thigh. Clenching my teeth, I yanked it out and met her glare with one of my own, "Really? You had to do that?" 

With a nod, she faced forward and continued the experiment we were supposed to be doing, leaving me to try to wipe the blood off the blades of the scissors without anyone noticing. 

Finally, after Lily had managed to turn the solution bright green, the bell rang and Hailey zipped out of the classroom and it was, without a doubt, to get away from me. My wolf whined for her. He needed her and already loved her. He and I couldn't live without her. And this, her distancing herself from me, was slowly, piece by piece, tearing me apart. Without her, I had grown apathetic about everything, including the whole Artemis situation which was, as Lily had already said, getting very out of hand. The next few classes went by agonizingly slow. Of course they would, because all I was looking forward to was last period. 

The only class that had just Hailey and I in it out of our little circle. And I was determined to get her to stop ignoring me. 

When the bell for last period rang, I practically sprinted there and was the first to arrive, sitting and waiting for her to come in. How ironic it was, because this was the classroom where she had learned my secret. She had learned that werewolves exist. 

Hailey was the second one to arrive, and she froze in the doorway when she saw me. Lowering her head and eyes, she steered clear and sat at the very back corner of the class. Frowning, I marched over and saw her cringe as she heard me do so. Sitting next to her, I spoke softly, "Hailey, please talk to me. It kills me that we haven't spoken since the dance." 

She bit down hard on her lip and continued looking straight down at her desk. More students began to file in, throwing curious glances at us, though they looked the other way when they saw my glare. No one dared to pry into the Alpha's private life.

Still, she burned holes into the desk and I could tell she was struggling not to look at me and talk to me. I just had to press a little more. Just a little more and she'll break. She'll talk to me. 

"Hailey, come on," I pleaded, letting the desperation pour out. She can't hate me forever, it's not an option. "Just talk to me." 

"Go away," She mumbled, though it was so quiet I could hardly hear her. Despite the iciness and solidity of her voice, I couldn't help but feel relieved at the fact that at least she finally had spoken to me. Two small words that were meant to hurt me, to push me away, only reeled me in more. And I was happy to oblige. 

I leaned in closer, "Please just listen to me, Hailey. Give me a chance to explain. I'll tell you everything, answer all of the questions you must have. You just have to let me. After school, we can walk around. Please, Hailey. Please." 

She bit her lip so hard that I saw a few beads of blood drip off her lip which she immediately licked, as if to try and hide it. Sighing, she slowly looked up and locked her perfect brown eyes with my own blue ones and nodded, "Fine." 

"After school?" I double checked and she nodded. With a small smile gracing my face, I sat back down in my own seat, impatiently waiting for the end of the day to come. 

~

a/n: so... there it is :) sorry it's been a long time, I've been really distracted lately!