Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Hailey

Zipping up my jacket, I holstered my gun and slid my pocket knife in my boot. Making sure I was cloaked by the anti-scent spray, I swung my arrow and quiver over my shoulders and they rested between my shoulder blades. As I made my way to walk out of the room, I caught sight of my reflection and paused. The girl in front of me had hair pulled into a high bun and was completely clad in black-- mostly leather. She had a few freckles already from the new California sun and her skin was pale in contrast. Her pale pink lips were, for once, loose and in a natural smile. Her eyes were the most spectacular part. They gleamed with anticipation and happiness, something that she had felt since after school. 

Since I talked with Chase, and he had asked me out. Gah! Why did I even think about him this way so much? He's a disgusting, filthy dog and is nowhere near worth my time. 

Sighing, I jogged down the stairs and found David sitting at the kitchen table, reading a newspaper, "Going out?" 

"Yep," I nodded, then walked out of the house through the back door, running to find the cover of the trees. Carefully, I tiptoed around the woods, making sure not to step on crunchy leaves or branches so as to give me away. I was hyper-aware of how silent I was being, and also how quiet the rest of the woods were. It seemed like there weren't any animals, and I couldn't hear the familiar sounds of the werewolves. Drawing my bow, I kept it at the ready as I continued further into the eerily silent woods. 

Something felt off-- call it a gut feeling or intuition, but something definitely was not right. A rustling of leaves caused me to turn, pulling my bow taut when I found a small rabbit scampering across the forest floor, looking terrified. Exhaling and relaxing my muscles in relief, I smiled a little at my jumpiness before freezing. 

Peter Cottontail had to be scared for a reason. Shouldering my bow, I quickly climbed up the oak tree in front of me and drew my bow once more, scanning the area below me. Then, I heard it, a low growl, nearly inaudible. A rough-looking gray wolf came into view and I smirked, holding the string of my bow by my lips. 

Goodbye, Mr. Werewolf. 

Releasing my bow, I smiled with admiration and pride as I watched the arrow pierce the wolf's skull, quickly ending its life. Never say I wasn't merciful. Suddenly, though, I heard more growls, at least six wolves and realized I was surrounded. I was right, after all, that something was off. Tonight, I was no longer the hunter, but the hunted, rather. 

The wolves circled the area, making sure to move more so I couldn't hit them, but still keeping me trapped. 

"Shit," I swore, shouldering my bow. Standing on my branch, I looked to my left and found the branch of the tree next to me just within reach and, suddenly, an idea came to me. I would be like a monkey, swinging from tree to tree. Eventually, they'll either lose me or I'll kill all of them. 

Backing up to the trunk of the tree, I took two steps before launching myself into the air, landing perfectly on the other branch. Smirking, I then snaked my way around to the other side of the tree and jumped to the next one, wobbling slightly on it, but landing on the branch nonetheless. 

I heard the sound of bones breaking, followed by a familiar voice, "She's jumping from tree to tree like a damn monkey! So you two, knock the fucking tree down, now." 

It was Luke, Chase's best friend, and assumed Beta. What a tool. 

Looking down, two large wolves looked up at me from the base of the tree, licking their canines maliciously. They both retreated the same direction and I knew what was coming. Now, all I had to do was time it perfectly. Picking out my branch on the next tree, I positioned myself and waited. I had to wait for exactly the right moment. Then, two growls sounded and I heard them running. Glancing down, I saw they were almost to the tree. Bracing myself, I jumped and grasped onto air as I flew through the air.