Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Hailey

I rolled over onto my back and groaned, touching my fingers to my head and pulling them back to find blood lathering them. Sighing, I looked around me and saw the hunters firing upon the wolves, but the wolves weren't taking shit.

Smiling with what seemed like pride, I brought myself to a stand and brought my bow with me. Drawing the string back, I looked around to see a hunter with his knife raised against a wolf.

Releasing the string, I watched as the arrow launched itself into his hand, sticking out and causing him to drop the knife.

The wolf took its opportunity and sprang up, ripping his neck out.

Chase was easy to pick out. I was all but drawn to him as he fought in a frenzy of anger and savagery. I wasn't going to lie, it was actually a bit of a turn on watching him tear into all of the two-faced bastards here.

Then again, I'd be a hypocrite if I said I wasn't two-faced.

He was digging into a hunter when a shot went off and his front leg buckled. He turned to face the hunter, who was frantically trying to reload his shotgun but failing.

Chase roared, leaping towards the hunter, who in a split second decision dropped the gun and pulled out a dagger, thrusting it into Chase's side. He dropped to the ground and spun around, only to receive another shot to the shoulder by the hunter's handgun.

"No!" I yelled, watching the scene in front of me unfold. Without thinking, I lifted a dagger of my own and threw it with expert precision.

The blade sliced through the air until it embedded itself into the back of the hunter. He sputtered for a moment before dropping to the ground.

Chase looked at me, his eyes sparkling and he barked out at me, which I took as a "thank you". He then turned and went back to tearing hunters limb from limb.

I went my own way, sneaking through the forest, looking for anyone to help and any hunters to fend off.

A low growl reverberated from behind me and I slowly turned to see a medium sized black wolf standing there, muscles tense and coiled, his eyes looking murderous.

I held up my hands, showing there was no weapon, "Listen, I'm on your side here."

The volume of the growl grew.

"Are you really now?" A male voice from behind me spoke. Whipping around once again, I came face to face with the Chief. My father.

The wolf behind me snarled loudly, and I could only hope he hated the man before me more than he hates me.

He held his crossbow up and aimed it at me, before moving it over slightly and training it on the wolf.

Stupidly, I stepped in front of the wolf, "Stop!"

"What do you think you're doing?" He shouted, his face reddening with anger through the dark night, although the smoke and fire from the house seemed to lighten things.

"Protecting my people," I stated firmly.

His grip on the crossbow tightened, "That is not one of your people, Hailey. That is a werewolf. Nothing but a mindless, murdering animal."

I shook my head, "You're wrong. They are people, and they're good people. You're the bad guy here, not them."

He didn't understand, and he never would, I knew that much. But I needed to distract him, keep him talking long enough for the wolf behind me to make it's escape. Behind my back, I gently motioned for the wolf to go.

"They killed your mother!" He exclaimed.

I shook my head, "No, you killed my mother by bringing her into this world! If you hadn't been hunting, they never would've targeted our family! Mom's death is on you, and no one else. So stop trying to blame everyone around you.

You've lost it, and you need to calm down. End this now, and maybe they'll spare your life."

At that, something inside him snapped, "Spare my life? As if you think they could ever get to me?"

He let out a maniacal cackle before sending the bow flying, straight through my thigh. I let out a wail, dropping to the ground, letting out another cry as the wolf behind me dropped as well, a different arrow embedded in his head.

"No!" I cried out.

A howl piercing the night followed my cry and I knew it was Chase. I could sense he was close, but not close enough.

David jogged into the clearing, Joel right behind them and I found myself faced with three men that I knew were very strict hunters. I was a goner for sure.

Taking a rock in my hand, I found my next best option; I launched it at the Chief, who was unexpecting, as the rock hit him square in the forehead, knocking him out.

"What the hell?" David ground out, walking over and yanking me up by the arm.

I hissed at the pain of my leg and glared at him, "I had to. The bastard fucking shot an arrow through my leg."

"Not through it," Joel spoke, "It's still very much in there."

He walked over and broke the tip off before yanking it back out. I bit back a scream as he did so, and blood began to flow more freely from the wounds. I could only hope he didn't hit an artery, but I was pretty sure he didn't.

"Why did he shoot you?" David pressed, and I could see Joel's ears perk up a bit at that question.

So I gave my answer, "Hell if I know, he was rambling on about how they killed my mom and then shot me before taking down him over there."

I pointed to the lifeless wolf across the way and a pang of guilt struck me. I couldn't save him, how the hell am I even supposed to save myself right now?

"That doesn't sound like the man I know," David decided, looking at me skeptically.

He held his gun out, and I could tell is was cocked and very well loaded. Shit.

Hobbling back to the ground, I grabbed my leg in pain and hoped that it would buy me enough distraction time to pull out a knife at least. So I went down and cradled my leg, hand slipping into my boot. Just as I had pulled the blade from my boot, I heard it-- the safety of the gun clicking off.

I looked up to see David standing, his gun pointed at my head. But what surprised me, was seeing Joel standing with his gun against David's head, who looked very pissed.

"What the fuck are you doing?" David ground out, his grip on the gun tightening.

"Fighting for what's right," he said. "You see, I might not be a genius, but I know what's right or wrong, and it took seeing Hailey with the wolves to help me realize it."

"There's more to it," I spoke up.

Joel shrugged, "The other hunters were bloodthirsty just for the hell of it. They didn't have a vendetta against the wolves, they just wanted to kill. And that's not okay, because as you, yourself have come to realize Hailey, they're people too. They have families, and friends and people who care if they make it back in one piece. I'm sick of taking people away from the world."

"Where the fuck did I go wrong with you two?" David wondered out loud, though his anger was still very clear and present.

A wolf leapt through the air at that time, interrupting the argument and I could hear the ringing of a gunshot and the sound of a body drop, but my vision was starting to blur in the frenzy of it all and probably partially due to my blood loss.

But the gunshot was clear, and so was the look of agony in the face of Chase's wolf.

~
A/N: ohhhhh shit what just happened y'all? It's ab to get guud ;) also sorry it's been like forever since I updated last but I mean here ya go :)

QOTC: how was your Easter/Passover if you celebrated either?