october 20th, 2015

galileo galilei said, "the universe cannot be read until we have learned the language and become familiar with the characters in which it is written. it is written in mathematical language, and the letters are triangles, circles and other geometrical figures, without which means it is humanly impossible to comprehend a single word. without these, one is wandering about in a dark labyr-

emily's reading was disturbed as her phone started ringing. she sighed, but took her phone in her hand.

incoming call from portman boy 

she smiled and slided with her finger to answer.

"hello?"

"oh hey emily." jacob responded quite happily.

"what is it?" emily asked, dragging out the last word.

"well i was just wondering if, uh, you would want to go with me to a movie, you know?

"what kind of movie?" emily smirked.

"are you grinning already?"

"perhaps." she said. "what kind of movie, portman?"

"the uh... the maze runner sequel? yeah, the scorch trials."

"it's come out already??"

"yes, for about a month now." jacob laughed.

"oh god really? man, i've waited for that movie for years!"

"so, then, let's go?"

"when?"

"today, of course? i'm an improviser."

"sure, sure. at what time?"

"erm..." jacob was silent for a few seconds. "the movie's at 5:40pm today." emily glanced at the time on her laptop. an hour and ten minutes untill the movie. "if i go with my bike now, we could make it in time."

"then go, what are you waiting for?" emily grinned.

"yep, i'll be at yours in 30 minutes." jacob said and immediately hung up. emily chuckled at her friend and put her phone down. she continued to read her research when she realised she should probably change out of her sweatpants and jumper.

she put on a black t-shirt, black jeans and a white-washed denim jacket. black and denim was her to-go outfit for any occasion. she put on a black and red checkered scarf before checking the time. only one minute left till jacob arrives.

emily looked out her window, seeing the boy on a bike, riding down the street (a/n: they see me rollin, they hatin) towards her house. she took her phone and marched down the stairs.

"where are you going, emily?" she heard her mom ask.

"to school." emily said the first thing on her mind. her parents were like robots in these situations, you see. she could say anything and they would only registrate as an answer, not an actual answer containing words in logical order.

she shut the door after walking out of the house and saw jacob waiting for her on his bike. his dark hair was slightly blowing around because of the wind, but it looked wonderful to emily. he had a black cloak on with a dark blue scarf, making his eyes stand out.

"hey portman." emily said, walking up to him.

"are you actually going to call me by my first name when we meet?" jacob laughed.

"i don't know. i like your last name too much." she said, slightly shivering in the wind. 

"would you like to have it?"

"if i was your sister, yes." emily laughed. "so, can we go?"

"oh yeah." jacob said. "just get on the bike behind me."

"okay." emily did as said and hesitantly put her arms around jacob's waist.

"don't be scared. hold on as tight as you can." he said, securing emily's arms around him tighter. 

"what are you, a bike devil?" emily asked as jacob turned around to drive out on the street.

"you could say so." he replied before breaking into the fastest speed he could, making emily scream and laugh afterwards.

"you could say so, my ass, portman." she said and jacob laughed. "you're a ghost rider."

"only i don't become a skeleton on fire." jacob yelled over the wind's loudness. emily chuckled.

jacob had a smile on his face, along with emily. they reached the cinema when it was 20 minutes left until the movie started. jacob paid for their tickets and they got into the auditorium.

let's just say jacob and emily weren't the most quiet movie watchers. but, they were lucky that the only other people watching were an elderly couple who were a bit deaf and a teen couple who were making out the entire movie.

so, the two teens had all the time to discuss the differences between the movie and the book, even if jacob was the one who hadn't read the maze runner book trilogy. emily promised to give jacob her copies, but only if he'll read them all.

"so, was the movie good?" emily asked when they were walking through the cinema.

"well, i can't speak of it as a fandom movie because i haven't read the book, i can only speak of it as a regular movie." jacob said, making emily sigh. "but, i think it's good. everything's balanced, you know - drama, comedy, even maybe romance??? i don't know." 

"there is some awful chemistry between thomas and teresa, but she is such a..." emily inhaled, thinking of swearing, but changed her mind. "bad word."

"oh, okay." jacob laughed. "you don't swear, do you?" 

"i don't want to, really. i only cuss when i'm really mad." emily said. "you don't wanna see me in that state. but, uh... what about you? this is such an awkward question."

"is it? i don't see it as awkward." jacob replied. "but... i don't know, i only use the most weakest words. i don't think anyone needs to swear, but you know, it's their choice."

"agreed." emily said. "are you hungry?"

"yeah, i'm always hungry."

"me too. let's go to a diner?"

"sure. i'm getting mac and cheese."

"me too. i hope they won't run out of the ingredients, cause i am so hungry."

------------------------

aaaaah this is a short shitty chapter i hate the ending but uhh this story's going well so far 

and its fall break next week so i'll be able to update more yay!

i love you, thanks for everything :))