XXIII

Ashleigh's POV:
Luke's been drinking alot more lately and I'm not sure why. Right when he gets off of work, he goes to the bar downtown, then, he'll comeback home at one in the morning and crash on the couch. This has been happening for about a month now and I'm getting really worried.

Today, Luke actually stopped by the house after work, so I decided I'd try to talk to him about it. I asked him nicely what was going on with him, but he acted like there wasn't anything wrong. I insisted that something was going on with him, and he told me to leave him alone and stormed out.

I leaned against the front door and slid down it as tears sprung to my eyes. What if he's cheating on me? No, that's not possible. That's not Luke.

I paced back and forth around the living room trying to figure out what was going on with him. I kept thinking about what he could possible be doing right now, besides getting drunk. What if he gets so drunk he passes out, or what if he lets another woman kiss him, and touch him. The thought of that makes me want to go pick up Luke from that bar right now and take him home. Maybe that's what I should do.

I don't want him to get hurt. And I don't want to get hurt. I love him to much for that. I want to know what's making him do this so I can try to help him.

I picked up my cellphone and called Luke. On the fourth ring, he picked up.

"Luke, please come back so we can talk about this. I don't want you to get hurt." I said as I felt myself choke up.

"I'm fine Ashleigh." He said.

"Please Luke." I said. He sighed and finally agreed to come back.

Luke's POV:
Yes, it's true that I have been drinking more lately, but I'm fine. Ashleigh is overreacting.

That's exactly what I wish I could say, but I'd be lying. I'm not fine. The beginning of this month is when Chris died. It all just came back to me and I couldn't deal with it. That's all I thought about at home, at work, and even in the shower, but when I'm so drunk I can't even think, it makes the pain stop for a little while.

Ashleigh called me just as I'd pulled up. I backed out of the parking lot and drove back home. Ashleigh must be worried sick. I should've told her something. You can't just leave and go get drink every night without some kind of explanation. It just doesn't work.

I slowly walked inside of the house and saw Ashleigh sittlich on the couch with her head in her hands crying. Once she realized I was home, she jumped up and tried to hide her tears. I walked towards her to try and touch her but she put her hand out. "No Luke." I sighed and took a step back.

"What's going on, I'm scarred. Are, are you cheating on me?" She basically whisper.

Those words made my heart break. How could she think I was cheating on her. I would never do that, Ashleigh's my everything.

"No, I swear, that's not what's happening." I pleaded.

"Then what's wrong?"

"I can't tell you." I whispered with tears in my eyes.

"Well then I can't stay, you stay here and think about what ever you need to tell me."

"Were are you going?" I asked fearfully.

"I don't know yet, I'll go all the way back to Texas if that's what it takes to get you to tell me what's wrong." She said. I let a tear slip from my eye and go down my cheek at her words.

"Please Ashleigh, just let me think for a second l, don't leave" I said. She nodded and sat on the couch. I thought for about five minutes, then I explained everything to her. All about Chris, and how I thought it get easier over time, but it never does. Before I could even finish my last sentence, she wrapped me in the biggest hug.

"I'm sorry I got mad Luke, I didn't know." She whispered.

"It's okay, it's not your fault, I should've told you before."

"Just, next time, try to tell me so we can talk about it and I don't have to be so worried." She said with a slight chuckle. I hugged her tight and kissed her on the lips.

"I'm also sorry I haven't paid any attention to you over the last month." I said. She nodded and kissed me again.

"It's alright, I'm just glad you're okay."

"I love you." I whispered.

"I love you, too."