Chapter 17

A/N: Been writing a lot more quickly ayeee 🎉 Guys this story only has 2 more chapters and an epilogue left to it I'm sad 😭 I've been writing this story since August and now it's mid October, I'm gonna miss it 😭😭 Especially all the song references I would casually just drop into random paragraphs like they were part of the text/dialogue 😂 See if you can spot the song reference I made this time 😂

Luke's POV:

As soon as Alexa's funeral ended I drove over to the mental hospital and angrily stormed up to Peter. Once I caught his eye, he turned his wheelchair to face me and smiled.

"Oh Duke, hello! How are you?"

"You lied to me Peter!" I immediately snapped at him

He looked as me as if he didn't know what I was talking about so I continued.

"You told me that if I cut the strings off of Caleb's corpse his spirit would be able to stop Momma from killing my friends, but it didn't! She must've found another way because now my friend Paige is dead! My friend Michael, he's fucking devastated! Him and Paige have been dating for three years and they've been good friends for over five, he loved her more than anything and now she's gone! He's completely shunned me out and wants to kill me because of it. Why didn't it work?!"

He stared at me with a surprised look. "You-You cut his strings?"

"Yes!"

He smiled and threw his head back. "Oh my god, yes! He's free now! Thank you!"

"What are you talking about?"

"Momma wasn't actually the one who would contact bad spirits with that Ouija board, it was Caleb and me. We would sneak downstairs late at night while she was asleep and play with it. He and I didn't mind the spirits taking over his body, only Momma did. She was trying to get us to stop but we wouldn't and it got to the point where it drove her mad and she eventually sewed his mouth shut to stop him from talking, then killed him. I knew that since Caleb had died with those bad spirits still inside of him there was no way of getting his old personality back. I also knew that because of the stitches on his mouth, even after he had been woken up by your friend, he still had some restrictions to his power as a spirit. But now that you've cut the strings, he's entirely free and has full power over you and your friends!"

I can feel the anger and hurt inside of me building. He fucking tricked me!

"So it was Caleb that's been killing all my friends? At first I thought he was the spirit we had to fight against but you convinced me that he was good and to take his side, and that Momma was the evil one in all this."

Peter smiled and nodded.

"Your mother never actually had any intentions of hurting us did she? The whole time she was really just trying stop us from making things worse."

"Yep!" he grinned

I feel so fucking stupid and betrayed. I can't believe I let myself listen to him. He's a completely different person than he was yesterday.

"You fucking asshole, I can't believe you! So innocent people are being killed for no reason and you don't even care?!"

His smile fell and he got serious. "Listen here, Duke. After Momma stitched up his mouth I promised him I would do whatever it took to help free him again, no matter what happened in the process or who got in the way. But after I got sent to this institution I realized I couldn't do that anymore, and felt like I was letting him down. I always hoped someday someone would find out about him again and come looking for me, and you happened to be that person."

I shook my head "There are so many reasons why you're still in this institution."

He wheeled his chair closer to me as I slowly backed away from him. "If you didn't want this happening, you shouldn't have come to me!"

He started standing up and I was confused as to why he was using a wheelchair in the first place if he could still walk on his own.

"There's no stopping what you've done, kid! You messed with the board, you made contact with an evil presence, and now you'll suffer the consequences. You and the rest of your friends are all gonna die too! One by one! And there's a very high chance you will be the next one!"

A couple of employees rushed over and tried to get Peter to calm down and persuade him to sit back down.

As I slowly walked away from them I could hear him still shouting to me "HE'S FREE!" over and over again.

* * * * *

Once I got back home I changed out of my all black clothing and tried at another attempt to get Michael to talk to me again. He had came to the funeral with us but he still avoided me at all times.

I approached the guest room door and knocked lightly.

"Michael...Please, I know you're in there. You need someone to talk to, and I'm here. I'm right out here for you, just let me in. We only have each other and Ashton, you might as well just speak to me."

"Fuck off!" He shouted back

"Hey you actually responded we're making progress!"

"Go the fuck away Luke!"

Words can't describe how guilty I feel right now. I sighed, giving up again. "Okay bye."

I heard my front doorbell ringing and answered it to Ashton.

"Did you confront Peter about what happened?" he asked, sitting down on the couch.

"Yes. It turns out he was in league with Caleb the whole time. Cutting the stitches didn't do shit, it only gave him more power over us. I can't believe I let him dupe me into doing that I'm so fucking stupid! He says there's nothing we can actually do to make this stop." I sat down too and rested my head in my hands.

"God this fucking sucks! I was so close to graduating college. Ever since I was a kid I've always dreamed of living a long full life and now I can't even do that!"

"I'm so sorry Ash, I feel fucking terrible! I am a horrible friend. I deserve to be next one to go. And I deserve to have it happen to me in the worst way possible!"

"I know you didn't mean it Luke, it's okay. I don't know how much longer I have left so for the time being, you'll see me trying to accomplish as much of my life goals as I possibly can. You can join me if you want."

I smiled slightly "Yeah sure, why not?"

We sat silent for a few minutes when suddenly out of nowhere Ashton quickly sat up again.

"Oh my god, Ida!"

"What?"

"The old woman I'm friendly with who lives in my building, Ida! She used to study spiritism and all that paranormal shit. She's great with this kind of stuff, she was the one who warned me not to play with the Ouija board a second time, but me being the stupid idiot I am still let you sucker me into doing it. Oh my god why didn't I think of going to her sooner, we could've saved so many more lives!"

He started shaking my arm. "There could still be hope Luke! We might still be safe! Peter could be wrong about there not being anything left we can do! She most likely knows what we really have to do to stop this!"

Hearing this just made my day so much better. "Holy shit yes! Bless you for choosing to live in that apartment!"

"Alright stay here, I'm going to talk to her right now! I'll be back soon!" he said, and immediately ran out the door.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-YAY THERES STILL HOPE YALL 😄🎉

100 reads at at least 10 votes for next chapter 😄 I think you guys will like the next one 😜😜
In the meantime, you'll find me head banging to Set It Off ✌🏻️