Chapter 29 - Confrontation

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey guys! I really hope you're enjoying the final arc of this story, I'm planning around 3 more chapters after this one so just need that final push of  motivation to finish now haha! ;)

Today is the start of the big showdown with Jaxon...! Let me know what you think!

Love Becky xx

***

Chapter 29

Confrontation

We are standing outside Jaxon's front door. It looks like it's been newly painted. Actually, the whole house looks pretty new. It's the epitome of middle-class suburban living. There's even a cute little front garden with rows of colourful flowers and a quaint wooden gate that creaks when you open it.

So much for being homeless. This place is picture perfect. I thought Jaxon came from a world of dirty streets and neglect, not the kind of cosy family sanctuary you'd see on the front of an Ideal Home magazine.

Chunk is right beside me, watching me closely. "Are you OK?"

He can obviously see the terror which is slowly spreading over my face the nearer we get to the door. "I don't know..."

"You can wait in the van if you like," he suggests. "I'll go in and take care of things, you don't have to face him if you don't want to."

"What are you going to do?" I ask, biting my lip. We don't have a plan at all. I haven't thought much beyond getting to the door and now I have no idea what to do.

"I'm taking his phone," Chunk answers decisively. "I'm getting that photo back and putting an end to this once and for all."

He's still being powered by his fury. And I think I need to tap into that same energy too. Because I'm furious too. I'm absolutely furious that someone who claimed to love me could ever treat me this way.

Without thinking, I loudly slam the door knocker. "I'm coming in too. He's not getting away with this."

It's weird but I've almost forgotten where I am or why I'm here. I'm lost in this moment of sheer determined willpower. My need for justice. But when the door slowly opens revealing the one and only Jaxon Stark on the other side, my stomach drops and all my defences come crashing down easily.

Two piercing blue eyes. Dark, messed up hair falling into his face. A toned, tattooed shoulder and luscious lips framed by a metal ring. For a split second, my body betrays me, completely forgetting who this man really is. All I feel is a rush of love at his familiar features.

And then he scowls at me, taking in Chunk at my side and for the first time I see him in another light. Mean eyes and a childish, sulky expression that reveals his inner poison. He's not handsome like this. Not now I see it dripping so clearly out of his pores.

"What the fuck?" he spits out at us.

Before he can slam the door back In our faces, Chunk barges through the doorframe. "Where is it?"

"Where's what?" Jaxon answers spikily. "Why the hell are you here?"

I scurry behind Chunk and into the house with my head down. All my bravado has evaporated and now I can't even bear to look Jaxon in the eye. Instead, I focus on the hallway we're now standing in. Pristine white walls, jovial family photos, and little candle ornaments lining a spotless side cabinet. This place is just as perfect inside as it is outside.

"Ash told me what you're doing," Chunk says, squaring up to his friend. "Where the hell is that photo?"

Jaxon closes the front door. And as he does so he laughs. Bitterly and spitefully. The way bullies laugh when they're honing in on their targets.