Chapter 13 - Stuff

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey guys! Today's picture is Ashleigh's hot-dog from the cinema. Because why not?

I'm glad you all liked Chloe last week, she is just a minor character but she'll pop up in later chapters. Maybe she deserves her own story sometime :)

On another note, people have been asking about when there will be more Benji/Taylor tales... I am happy to tell you that I'm currently working on an A to Z of fluffy flash fiction all about them which I'm hoping to post up later this year. So keep posted, they'll be back soon :D

In the meantime, hope you enjoy this next installment!
Big hugs!
Becky xxx

***

Chapter 13

Stuff

"So I was surprised when I got your text yesterday," Jaxon says as we walk along. "Pleasantly surprised."

His hands are resting in his jacket pockets and there's a dark lock of hair sweeping across his eyes. I can't stop looking at him. If I'm not careful I'm going to walk into a lamppost or something because he has every ounce of my attention right now.

"Good," I answer in a shy voice. All my flirty bravado from our text messages has disintegrated. I can't think of a single normal thing to say.

Jaxon appears to be staring straight back at me and I can't quite work out his expression. Is he glad I'm here or is he wishing he never asked me out at all? I'm probably a total disappointment compared to the crazy, tipsy Ash from last night.

"How'd you get my number anyway?" he asks out the blue. Oh crap. I was hoping he wouldn't bring that up. I don't want to drop Chunk in it, but I can't think of a single excuse.

"Ermmm..."

"It was Chunky Monkey wasn't it?" Jaxon guesses. "It has to be. He's a total soft-touch."

Oh no, he's figured it out. I start to blurt out a load of excuses in a mad panic to try and protect Chunk. "Don't be mad at him, he didn't even want to get involved! I forced him to give me your number when I couldn't find you on Facebook and..."

I stop mid-sentence, realising what a mad, psycho stalker I must sound like. Luckily for me, Jaxon appears to be smiling rather than getting angry.

"It's cool, don't worry about it. I hate Facebook so you weren't going to have much luck there."

"How can you hate Facebook?" I exclaim. "It's the best way to keep up with everyone. How do people even know what you're up to?"

He gives a short, sharp laugh. "There was a world before Facebook you know Ash. I don't have to share my every waking thought with a bunch of randoms on the internet."

I bite my lip in embarrassment. Everything I'm saying is coming out so wrong. I'm beginning to feel like a stupid little kid, despite the fact Jaxon is only a year older than me. He catches the look on my face and holds out his arm to me. "Hey come here."

I shuffle over to him as we keep walking and he pulls me against his body with a warm, strong grip. It makes me gasp with delight. Then he stops in the middle of the street and pulls his phone out of his pocket, holding it out with an extended arm.

"Shall we take a photo for Chunky-boy? Show him no hard feelings."

"O...OK." I nod breathlessly and smile for the camera. I'm trying to convey an expression that says 'Thank you so much' to my lovely, meddlesome friend Chunk, but it's hard to concentrate when Jaxon is pulling me so tightly into his hold. I can see the two of us in the phone screen and we look good together. No, we look GREAT together.