Chapter 24 - Caught

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

The following chapter is a little intense and was a challenge to write... I hope I managed to get it right. I am looking forward to hearing what you all think of the latest developments.

One thing I have heard a lot from readers is that Ash is driving them crazy but they can't stop reading. Thank you so much for this feedback, it has really driven me to keep writing even when I've had a bit of a block! I was really worried that people would give up on this book because of Ash's behaviour... But I hope you'll stick it out because she has a lot of important lessons to learn.

Let me know your thoughts, big hugs to you all :)
Becky xx

***

Chapter 24

Caught

The sun is starting to set, causing a deep orange glow to spread across the Northcastle sky. I rub my arm, feeling goosebumps appearing on my freezing cold skin. I'm wearing the super short bra-top and hot pants that Jaxon picked out for me and it's not exactly the warmest evening to have so much skin on display.

I don't care, though. I had to wear it so I could really show off my new hair. And so I could channel my whole new confident attitude to go with it. The brand new Ashleigh Apple doesn't get phased by a little bit of a cold wind. She rocks her body anytime, anyplace. Any weather.

"God Minx, I can't get over this new look. I mean, wow. You're fucking incredible."

Jaxon is sitting on a swing opposite me as I lean against a rusting roundabout. We're in the same children's playground we went to after our first cinema date. Just like last time, it's totally deserted. We both decided it was a good place to hang out since neither of us can afford to go anywhere else.

I guess it's kind of become our special place. Somewhere just for the two of us, far away from the rest of the world and their judgements.

"I'm so glad you like it," I say with a blush. "I was beginning to wonder if it was a mistake."

I can't help but glance at my phone as I speak, checking to see if my new photos have anymore comments. The response wasn't really as enthusiastic as I was hoping. I read through my friend's reactions one more time.

Sarah: Ahh I hope I cut it OK Ash!!!! I tried my best anyway! Really glad you like it, def cool seeing you as a blonde rock chick :) Even if we did end up a little bit shorter than expected.... LOL! xxx

Dev: WOAH. Was not expecting that....!

Taylor: Sorry you thought I made fun of your hair. It looks cool. X

Annabelle: Errrrmmm.... OK Ash, what the hell?!!! Have you gone insane or something?! ROFL! Well got to give it to you, you've definitely got guts!!!! Xxx

Raj: Wow, brave choice little red. I mean, little not-so-red anymore...!

There is nothing from Benjamin. I don't think he's speaking to me. Especially not after I walked out on my shift this evening. But there is one new message I haven't seen yet. From Chunk. He's sent it in private.

"Hey Ash. Wow, just seen the new photos Got to admit, I was kind of shocked to see all your red hair gone! But if anyone can pull off such a radical new look then it's you. I think it's really cute.

I was just wondering if everything's OK after last night? I know you were really upset about your brother being at the pub. And then you got this new haircut? I wondered if the two things were maybe linked in some way? Just remember you can always talk to me if you feel frustrated with anything. That's what friends are for.