Chapter 22 - Girl Talk

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Thank you so much to @Lost48 for designing a gorgeous fan cover of this story which I've posted at the top of this chapter! Do you guys like this as the main cover? Let me know what you think :)

Hope you enjoy today's chapter, big hugs!
Becky xx

***

Chapter 22

Girl Talk

It's almost 11pm and I'm sitting on the floor of Sarah's bedroom whilst she hunts in her wardrobe for some spare pyjamas for me to borrow.

I couldn't face going back home. I just couldn't. After Benjamin and Taylor finally left the pub I was so upset that I could barely enjoy the rest of my night out, despite the fact all my friends were trying to cheer me up. The whole situation might have been the worst thing Benji has ever done to me. The last thing I needed was to go back and get another patronising lecture from him about my love life.

I begged Jaxon to let me stay with him, but it would be way too awkward since he's sleeping on random mates' sofas right now and I doubt they would take too kindly to him bringing his girlfriend back. Plus there would be no room for me.

Thankfully, Sarah came to my rescue by offering to share her double bed with me for the night at her parents' house. Chunk just dropped us back now in his van. He seemed super worried about me which makes me feel even worse. I don't want everyone worrying about me. I just want to get on with my life without all this drama.

"Are you going to text home to say you're here?" Sarah asks as she continues hunting through old clothes. "They'll probably freak out if you don't come back."

"I guess so," I mumble, taking my phone out my bag. My hand brushes against the photo of Jaxon and me, causing my heart to clench a little tighter. "I just can't believe my family is acting like this. They're absolutely suffocating me."

I quickly type the world's shortest text to Benjamin and hit send. "Staying with Sarah tonight." Then I put my phone on silent and shove it back in my bag.

"I guess you're still their baby girl," Sarah says kindly. "It's hard for them to see you moving on."

I let out a groan. "Well, they need to get used to it. I'm not a kid anymore. And anyway, I've been there for Benji when he's had boyfriends and welcomed them into the family with open arms, so it really hurts that he won't give me the same respect back." I think back to our miniature showdown a few hours earlier. "I know I keep going on about it, but the stuff he said to Jaxon was just horrible. I can't believe he would dare talk like that to someone I'm dating."

Sarah suddenly pulls a pink pyjama set out of her wardrobe with the words "Princess In Charge" emblazoned over a glittery crown logo. "OK, I'm sooo sorry about this, I don't think it's gonna help get rid of your baby-girl reputation, but it's all I can find!"

I burst out laughing the moment I see it. "Oh no, it's perfect. Thanks, Sarah!" She throws the top and shorts my way and I catch them with a giggle. "Reckon Jaxon will like to see me in them?"

"Definitely," she giggles back. "They are super sexy, right?"

I pull my dress off and throw the pyjamas on, wriggling out of my bra under the cover of the material. I must have done this so many times before whenever I've had sleepovers here in the past. Sadly they don't happen much these days, not now we're older and have such busy schedules. It was always so much easier when we were at school and sixth form.

"So what exactly is Benjamin's problem?" Sarah asks, changing into her own pyjamas. "Did Jaxon say something to offend him or something?"

"No!" I exclaim defensively. "Well... not really. He was just standing up for himself against being spied on." I lean my back against Sarah's bed, staring up at the familiar patterned ceiling. "I don't know what the hell is going to happen now. I can't see Jaxon ever wanting anything to do with my family ever again."