Chapter Nineteen - Perfect Drinks and Pomeranians

We stroll into the small shop and are immediately greeted by Laura.

"Arcelia dear, nice to see you, and who's this?" She nods to Brandon.

"This is Brandon, he's a friend of mine," I smile.

"Well does he like coffee cake?" She asks.

Brandon nods and she smiles, "Lovely! Two slices of coffee cake on the house coming right up for my favourite customer and her friend."

I shake my head, "Oh no Laura that's alright."

"It wasn't a question dear," she winks and turns away.

I laugh, "Alright you want to go order a drink?"

He nods and we head to the front counter, after a mental debate I finally decide on a hot chocolate with extra whipped cream and let out a laugh when Brandon orders the same. He had always been a huge hot chocolate fanatic, and while I usually preferred coffee or maybe a chai latte, the idea of one of Laura's heavenly hot chocolates sounded amazing.

"Your total comes to 3.05$," The cashier smiles at me.

I reach into my pocket and take out two toonies to hand to her, "Keep the change," I smile.

Whenever Laura gives me an on the house slice of coffee cake I always make sure to leave a small tip as a thank you, even if she doesn't notice. It's probably better that way considering she'd chew me out for trying to pay her, even if it's less than a dollar.

After we get our drinks, we make our way to the back of the shop where the couches are. It's a quiet Sunday afternoon and there's barely anyone in the shop, meaning that we get to sit in my favourite spot in the back. The dimly lit lights and the comfort of the couch immediately make me feel cozy and I sigh in contentment.

The steaming mug of hot chocolate warms up my hands and I almost want to take a picture of the cup, as it looks so pretty with the whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top. Looking over to Brandon I see him getting cozy as well and I find myself smiling at the way he props his feet up on the couch and looks fondly at the drink in his hands, clearly amazed by how great it looks.

While I'm seated on one side of the couch with my feet up, he's seated on the other side with his doing the same. Since his legs are much longer than mine they come up to about my outer thigh while mine reach just about halfway up his calf. We sit in comfortable silence while we sip our drinks and I take a deep breath, I can honestly say I haven't felt more happy and at peace in months... And I don't think I could say that if there was anyone other than Brandon sitting across from me.

I see Laura across the room coming towards us, two slices of coffee cake and a blanket in her arms. She sets the coffee cake slices down and unfolds the blanket before draping it over Brandon and I's legs.

"I saw you two had cuddled up on the couch so I thought I'd get you's a blanket," she smiles.

I smile back gratefully, "Why thank you Laura, wanna take a seat and talk for a bit?" I ask.

"No that's okay love, I have to get back into the kitchen and whip up a few things," she says.

She turns and walks away and I turn back to Brandon with a smile. I loved my job at the bakery but if I could have any other job it would be here. While this has more of a cozy laid back Cafe feel, the bakery is more focused on baked goods and doing cake orders. While we allow our customers seats to enjoy their treats, we don't tend to them the same way Laura does her customers. I love both places equally for different things, though, I'd obviously never tell anyone other than Laura this, their coffee cake trumps ours by far.