Chapter Five - Night Shifts and New Information

Chapter Five - Night shifts and New Information

I didn't receive another package after that.

And to be honest I didn't really care. That's a lie, I cared a metric shit ton, but what did I think was going to happen when I told him to a) stop sending packages and b) that he had no chance?

I knew he was going to get tired of trying, I just saved myself before it went on long enough that I started thinking that maybe he wouldn't.

Packing up my bag and heading out towards the car, I pushed the thoughts aside and hopped in, knowing that I got to nap before work today.

On Fridays the shop was opened later, so my shift started later, meaning I got to take a quick cat nap before I had to head out.

And all was good until I had to walk home.

Being that it was about mid October, we were getting to that unfortunate period where the sky darkened hours before it usually did in summer.

Meaning I had to walk home alone in the dark, which was what I wasn't exactly a fan of.

Clutching my jacket tighter around myself I made my way out onto the street and mentally prepared myself for the walk home.

And all was going fine until something, or more like someone, started following me.

I tested this by picking up my pace and crossing the street, only to find them doing the same thing just a little ways back.

I quickened my pace and continued on my way, trying not to look as scared shitless as I actually was. I hear the footsteps growing louder and louder behind me until I turned to see the figure right behind me, reaching for my shoulder.

So I did what any rational person for do, scream and punch the intruder.

"Oww what the fuck?" He screams in response, clutching his shoulder in pain.

I immediately recognized the voice.

"Brandon, what the fuck? Why are you creeping up on me like some forty year old street stalker?" I shout back.

"I saw you walking on the street, I was out grabbing something for my Mom, and saw you walk out of the shop. I know you get freaked walking home alone at night and so I figured I'd walk with you since your house is on the way back to mine," he mumbles, still clutching his shoulder.

"Well you scared the shit out of me."

"Well you punched the shit out of me."

"Fair enough, but I can get home on my own thanks," I turn but he reaches out and grabs my arm gently.

I quickly pull away.

"We don't have to talk, but I know you're scared, and I know you're just being defensive, so please just let me walk you home. Is my company really worse than no company?" He asks.

I walk past him but walk to the side of the sidewalk, allowing him to walk beside me.

He held up his end of the deal, and no one said a word.

The silence was killing me.

"So how's life?" I ask, not really knowing how to start a conversation with him but also not being even to take the silence any longer.

His head snaps towards me, shock evident in his face that I broke the silence.

"Er, um, it's okay, I guess. I'm thinking I might switch schools again, this one honestly kind of sucks. I know my mom was really pushing for it, because of the possibility for an athletic scholarship, but I don't want to pursue football. You know that," he finishes and looks to me, I nod.

I gulp and process this. Brandon's going to be back at our/my school.

He had switched about half way into last year, his mom had pushed for it because this school was highly recognized for having the best athletic program for sports and being champions in the league for years. In ever sport, too. Anytime there was some national championship, you can bet this school was going to be in it. They were renowned for having the best athletes.

Brandon was always very good at football, I mean, I don't know exactly how the games goes, but I pay enough attention and know enough to know that he is definitely great at the game.

But I also know that it's not what he wants to pursue in life, and so after months of pushing it was a very reluctant agreement to switch schools. Especially since him and I had been dating at the time.

"I see. Well I think you should just tell her. She can't consistently push you towards something you don't want to do. You gave it a fair shot, but you and I both know that our school has better opportunities for people who aren't sports junkies."

He looks down at me and smiles, a full broad smile. His eyes full of what anyone could tell was adoration, the one he used to give me all the time, the one I grew to love.

"Thanks, yeah, I think I'm going to talk to her tonight about it."

That concludes our conversation, and we continue to walk in silence.

"So what about you, how's life?" He asks.

"Looks like we will have to get to me next time, seeing as we're reaching my stop," I tell him, diverting the topic.

"Wait, there's going to be a next time?" The smile was back.

"It's a figure of speech," I look at him, "But thanks for walking me home," I smile.

He smiles half heartedly, "Anytime."