Chapter Eleven - Cassie and Cookies

"Ughh," Cassie grumbles, rolling over beside me as I come sit beside her.

"Good morning sunshine, the world is calling you, it's time to answer my love," I say, trying to sound as poetic as possible.

"Tell the world to fuck off and leave it to voicemail," She says rolling back over.

"That bad huh? Well doesn't matter, I'm heading off to work now so here's some Advil and some tea to wash it down," I say, pulling myself from the bed.

"The fuck Arcelia? I don't actually have to get up?" She groans angrily and rolls back over to look me in the eyes.

I give her an innocent smile, "Nah, I just didn't want to miss out on seeing you like this before I had to work," I say laughing.

She grabs a pillow and throws it at me, which lands about two feet from my shoes before mumbling along the lines of "oh fuck off" before rolling back over.

I let out a grin, "I love you too."

******

"Hey Arcelia you have a visitor for you," Hailey shouts to me in the kitchen before walking back out to the store front.

I smile and grab a towel to wipe my hands on before walking out.

"M&M cookies and mango iced tea?" I ask Cass.

She nods and places them on the counter for Hailey to ring up. Whenever Cass was having a bad day, this was her go to comfort food. I was planning on bringing it for her after my shift, but I guess they were enough motivation for her to do it on her own this time.

"So how are you feeling?" I ask as I ring up Cassie's order.

She gives me an incoherent mumble before looking up at me, the bags visible under her eyes, "I feel like shit. But the cookies were whispering their sweet nothings and I fell for it like always." She lets out a small smile.

"Understandable, they are pretty good," I smile.

"You're just saying that because you work here," she grumbles.

"Nah, I actually prefer the brownies, but they are good."

She shifts her feet and crosses her arms, her eyes now studying me suspiciously. "So what's up with you today? You're all smiles and rainbows." She asks.

"Just high on life," I say giving my most convincing smile.

I nod behind her to make her aware of the customer behind her and she picks up her cookies and tea before heading out of the shop.

What I didn't tell her is that the reason for my good mood was due to the great sleep I had last night. The first good nights sleep I've had in a week. The party's finally over and it was like I could feel the anxiety leaving my system, a happy, carefree exterior left in its wake.

That and surprisingly Saturday shifts were always my favourite. Mainly just because I got to bake as well as run cash with Hailey. Or whoever else was in. Our shifts were mostly rotated, that way it was fair and everyone got a chance to work a Saturday as well as have one off.

******

Hanging up my apron and walking out of the kitchen I turn and give Hailey a quick wave goodbye before heading out of the shop.

It's just about 3pm and I plan on going home and watching another three musicals with Cassie and go to bed until Monday morning.

"Cassie?" I yell walking into the house.

I hear her footsteps tumble down the stairs and approaching me I look up to see her face looking tired and grumpy.

"Ready to watch another three?" I ask.

She looks at me tiredly before shaking her head, "You're off for today, enjoy your time, I'm going to go take a nap before dinner." She turns and walks back upstairs.

I look up at her retreating figure in confusion and shake my head in confusion. She doesn't want to watch musicals? Okay, somethings seriously wrong. I make a mental note to probe further when she wakes up and head upstairs to get changed.

After a few hours in the kitchen, I brush off the light dusting of flour that covers me and head upstairs with a plate of my famous homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Peaking in through the open door I find Cassie lying on her side with her phone in hand and I set the cookies down before approaching her.

"Hey"

"Yeah?" She asks and turns to face me, her face lacking any emotion.

I heave a sigh and decide to scrap all formal casualties and get straight into it.

"Okay so what's wrong? Our ying and yang has been off all day. You've been sitting here all mopey, you got your comfort cookies and you refused to watch musicals with me, even though I know you had some of your favourites picked out for today," I huff, finishing my rant.

She looks at me confused, "Ying and yang?" She furrows her brows.

"Yes the ying and yang. You're always the upbeat one, I'm the grump. If you're the grump then I'm the upbeat one. And this shit is tiring, so you better tell me what's up right now."

I point a finger at the cookies, "Or no cookies for you. I will eat them all myself you know, you know I can." I threaten.

She lifts her hands up in surrender and I smile in victory, "Alright alright I'll tell you," she pauses, "But cookie me first would you?" She asks.

I hand her over a cookie and she lets out a satisfied sigh after taking a bite. "Alright, so?" I prod.

"So, you can leave now," she huffs.

"I, what?" I ask confused.

"You heard me."

I look up at her angrily, "You used me for my cookies. Well played, but I will find out what the fuck is wrong and I'm taking the cookies with me. Have fun starving while you mope up here. You know my cookies are like crack, you can't have just one. You'll break eventually." I snatch the plate of cookies hastily off her beside table and walk out of the room and slam the door behind me.

Storming angrily up the stairs I feel my anger dissipate and my fists soften. I shouldn't take this out on her. There's something obviously wrong and me snapping at her for holding it inside isn't going to help her. And I want to help her. I try and reason with myself.

I slowly make my way back to her room but pause with my hand on the door knob when I hear the sounds of her softly crying. I slowly crack the door open and find her rolled to one side, cuddling a pillow. Heaving a sigh I take a few cookies from the plate before resting it gently on the bed side table.

I hear her stir, and stop crying, now aware that I'm there. "I just came to give you back the cookies, when you're ready to talk I'm here." And with that, I turn on my heel and walk out of the room.

*******
Authors Note: Uh oh, somethings wrong with Cassie. Any guesses as to what's wrong? Must be something serious if she doesn't want to watch musicals. Keep reading to find out!

Love always,

Dia ❤️