Chapter Ten - Patterns and Parties

The rest of the week was surprisingly.. Uneventful.

I hadn't had a single run in with Brandon since our encounter in the hallway. It was like he had just dropped off the face of the planet, which wouldn't be a first for him. I didn't want to acknowledge the sting in my chest that I felt grow over each passing day. I wanted him to leave me alone, and I should've expected this, I knew it would happen. And yet, here I was, slightly moping about it. I had started getting used to seeing his face again.

A part of me didn't want him to give up on me, so it was my fault really.

I ignored the pain in my chest and pushed my way through the crowd as if it was any other day, because the truth of the matter was that I had bigger shit to worry about.

Today was Friday, and my unsettling anxiety had only continued to climb throughout the course of the week. I haven't slept well in days, and I knew it wasn't hard to tell since my irritation had also grown steadily over the week as well.

But I've been trying to keep it at bay the best I can for Cassie. I know for a fact that if she can sense that somethings wrong she won't go the party, and that's just not fair for her. I know how many she's missed on my behalf and she shouldn't have to miss out on these things because of me.

I keep my head down and push through the crowd, praying that day ends quickly.

****

Cassie takes a nervous glance at me before straightening out her skirt, "Are you sure about this?" She asks.

Taking a glance at her patterned skirt and black crop top, with heels to match and light but lively make up, I smile. "Yes definitely, you look amazing." I answer her, knowing that isn't what she was referring too.

"Arcelia you know what I mean. Are you okay?" She asks.

No. But I'm not going to tell you that. Instead I give her my best smile and nod, "Yeah don't worry about me, I'm good." I respond.

"Okay, but if there's ever a point when you're not, you tell me, alright?" She says seriously. "Also, you look great too," She smiles approvingly while checking out my outfit.

I look down at my high waisted skinny jeans, long sleeved black crop top and converse and let out a laugh. I don't look nearly as well dressed as her but parties have never been my thing anyway. But hey, at least I put on a little makeup and did something with my hair, right?

"Hey, could you help just get the back pieces of my hair curled?" She asks, snapping me out of my trance.

I walk over to Cassie, who's done her hair with loose curls, same as me, and grab the curling iron. After finishing up I grab my phone from the night stand and slip it into my back pocket and I'm ready to leave.

Since Cassie's family is out for the night at the movies, we didn't have to make up an excuse as to where we were going. By the time they get home, they will have thought we'd already gone to bed, but by the time we actually get home, they'll be fast asleep.

Seeing as the car is gone for the night, I'm grateful when Cassie tells me that the party were attending is at Kacey McNeil's house, which is only a few houses down from ours.

I can fell the cool October breeze hit me as soon as we walk outside and am suddenly overjoyed with my decision to wear pants instead of a skirt, unlike Cassie who's teeth start chattering as soon as we walk out.

I ball my hands into fists as I feel them get more and more shaky as we creep closer to the house.

Hearing the music from two houses over, I'm surprised that there haven't been any noise complaints. And walking up the driveway I'm starting to think I'm going to make them myself. Like fuck, who needs eardrums am I right? Apparently not me or any of the mass of people I see littering the front yard. Almost everyone I see either has the stereotypical red cup in their hand and I feel my palms get sweaty from how hard I'm clenching them, trying desperately to stop my shaky hands from being noticeable.