Chapter Eighteen - Coffee and Confrontations

Authors Note: Every story has conflict and can't be lovey dovey all the time. The conflict that is currently underway isn't just affecting Arcelia and her family, it affects her and Brandon as well. Once this conflict is resolved, it can help shed light onto Arcelia and help her realize that Brandon is here to stay and that she can trust him. Having him by her side even when he isn't obligated to, as well as resolving the conflict that made Arcelia think the way she does will help her to become more of a trusting person. ITS ALL RELEVANT BUT IM SORRY ITS NOT SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS YOU JUST HAVE TO WAIT OUT THE STORM. Boom, rant over, continue. 😊

***********

"Damnit, I am considerably less angry than I was two seconds ago," Brandon sighs, but holds a bright smile on his face. "I'm still talking to your brother though."

I know I can't convince him otherwise, but I don't want him coming along.

"They won't let you in unless your family, and I won't go if you come with me," I argue.

"Why not? I can't let them just keep doing this, not after seeing how much this affects you. Why can't you let me be there for you?" He asks sadly.

It's not that I don't want you there, I just can't let myself get used to it, I want to say, but I keep that thought to myself.

"It's not that, I just should do this alone," I sigh.

I don't want to do this alone, and I know he can tell. Concern is written all over his face, he knows me so well.

"Arcelia, I am going to come with you. I promise this won't end in a brawl because I will keep my mouth shut, but only if you let me come with you for moral support. I won't let them drain you."

I feel myself cave, because I want someone there for me, I need someone there for me. And though I knew needing someone there would only lead to disappoint, as I had learned with my brother and father, he was willing to be here for me right now. I had to take it.

"Fine, you win, but get out so I can get dressed, actually fuck it, no. I'm going in pajamas," I grab my boots and pull them on before heading out of the door with Brandon behind me.

With a new found determinism in my step I walk down and almost out the front door, only to have Cassie stop us.

"Hey where are you two going?" She asks.

"We're going to talk to her brother," Brandon says with an equally determined voice, pointing in my direction.

Cassie simply smirks at this before turning around, "Okay but be back for dinner, and I expect answers."

I nod even though she's turned and walk out of the door, I see Brandon's car parked in the driveway and I walk up to the passengers side and let myself in when he unlocks it. We're off in a flash and there within five minutes.

I feel my hands clench with anticipation as we sit in the car parked in the hospitals driveway. I try to push down my anxious thoughts and underlying bad feeling about going in.

"Ready?" Brandon asks, turning his gaze to me.

"Ready," I nod.

We walk out of the car and into the hospital in silence, but I can still feel the comfort with his presence there.

"Name?" The female receptionist asks, her voice clearly lacking interest as she takes the slightest glance to her visitors.

"Arcelia Winters," I answer confidently.