Chapter Twenty Six

I heard the sound of beeping before any of my other senses returned to me. I forced by eyes open, but grimaced from the brightness. Once my eyes were adjusted. I looked around and saw Eric sitting by my bed. He had his head against the bed and I could tell he was asleep. I felt someone next to me and looked over seeing Alice and Hayden laying in the bed with me, they were also asleep. I lay there and rub Eric's head softly while I look at him. He woke up slightly and looked at me. He shot up and wrapped his arms around me, kissing me deeply. "Kayla we were so worried. You've been asleep for so long." Eric said as he looked at me. I open my mouth to speak, but can't. Eric figured this and got me a glass of water. I down it quickly then look at Eric.

"How long was I asleep?" I asked as I looked at him.

"Two months." Eric said and looked at me. I sit there in shock but don't say anything. "Kayla I need to tell you something." I looked at him and he sighed. "I can't begin to tell you how many tests the doctors ran, or how many times I made them recheck. During the fight." Eric paused his voice caught in his throat. I put my hand on his arm gently. "You lost the baby." He told me. I sat there in shock unable to say anything. I felt water fill up as I sat there, I hadn't noticed the tears falling down my face.

"T-that can't be right. Eric please tell me it isn't true." I begged as I looked up at Eric crying, unable to stop. Alice and Hayden woke up and tried to figure out what was wrong, but I just cried. Eric got them to leave the room and my cries turned into sobs. I was unable to stop or care at that point. Eric came back in and wrapped his arms around me. I cried into his chest as I gripped to his shirt. He rubbed my back trying to sooth me and I soon passed out from exhaustion. When I woke up I was in my own bed. I looked around and then down at my stomach. I put a hand on my stomach and began to cry silently again. I felt Eric wrap an arm around me. He pulled close to him as I turned and put my face in his chest crying. I kept my hand on my stomach and felt nothing but hatred towards Cora and Alice's old master. We laid there and Eric rubbed my back while my crying slowly stopped. I eventually was just sniffling. "I'm hungry." I said softly. Eric nodded and got up, he kissed my forehead then walked out if the room. I sat up and pulled my legs up to my chest. I heard a soft knock on the door and looked up. "Come in." I said and saw Alice peek her head in.

"Mommy?" She asked as she looked at me. I could tell something was bothering her because she didn't meet my eyes. She walked over to my bed and slowly got in. She wrapped her arms around me and put her face in my chest. I felt her small body start to shake.

"Alice what's wrong sweetie?" I asked gently as I pulled her on to my lap.

"I-its all my fault." She said crying into my chest.

"What is baby?" I asked as I rubbed her back.

"That you lost your baby if I hadn't called to you then you would still have your baby." She said and hugged me tighter. I didn't sat anything at first then made her look at me.

"Listen to me Alice, none of this is your fault. I made a decision on what to do." I said gently and wiped her eyes. "It's horrible losing a baby, but I can always have another one. There's only one you." I told her and she sniffled still crying. She put her face in my neck and calmed down falling asleep eventually. Eric came upstairs with a bowl of soup and a glass of water. He saw me holding Alice and I saw a look flash in his eyes before it was replaced back to his normal self. He handed me the soup and I ate it softly.

"Want me to take her?" Eric asked and I shook my head.

"No, she needs me right now." I said as I ate my soup slowly. He nodded and sat down. I ate all of my soup then set the bowl to the side. "Is Hayden okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, he's in his room asleep. Phil is in there with him, they've gotten really close since the attack." Eric said. I nodded and rubbed Alice's back when I heard her whimper softly. I felt her grip my shirt tightly and put her face in my chest again.

"She's sleeping in the bed with me tonight." I said and Eric nodded, but didn't awknowledge her. I didn't take notice to it so I took a sip of water then laid down with my back to Eric and Alice in front of me. I still felt the need to cry and break down, but knew I had to remain strong for my family. I closed my eyes and slowly fell asleep and Eric had his arm around me.

I woke up the next morning and looked to see Alice sleeping next to me. I kissed her forehead then looked and saw Eric was gone. I sighed and got up, Alice's eyes immediately shot open.

"Mommy?" She asked and looked at me.

"I'm right here." I said and smiled gently. I picked her up and limped downstairs. I expected to see everyone sitting around for breakfast. I only see Willow and Trent. I feel my chest tighten when I remember most of my friends had been killed. I closed my eyes and felt a tear fall. I took a deep breath then wiped the tear and walked into the kitchen.