#16: What if I told you?

Training Camp

"This is the only thing I can do. I feel bad that you were banned knowing that it wasn't your fault. Know that Fumiko did that to protect you as well", Hana explained before entering the car. "Thanks, Senpai", Sayuri bowed. The raven's head turned in the other direction and saw a middle-aged man. "He's my dad. Masaaki Nakatani. It happened that they were having their training near the sports arena", Hana threw a charm. "Don't curse us just because you cannot join the game. What you can do now is train. We don't need your cheer. Be better than your upperclassman that they will never question your presence in the court", she said before closing the car's door. "Thank you, Senpai", Sayuri bowed and waited for the car to leave. 

"She just sounds cold but she cares the most", Masaaki went to fetch the female student. "Our training isn't that easy so you can pause from time to time. That is, if you want your teammates to keep advancing and you're being left behind", the coach challenged. 

"Shin-chan! That's the girl everyone is talking about. Is she going to cook for us?", Takao peeked outside the gymnasium. "

Summer Vacation

Hotel Lounge

"Yana-cchi. I knew it. Minami-san also scheduled your photoshoot here", Kise waved as he spots the lady sitting at the couch. At the sound of his voice, Yana's face brightened. After the Inter-High game, she wasn't able to talk to Kise that much. Sayuri is also off for training which means she will not be able to play with her during the break. Yana will be heading home for the break after the photoshoot. 

As soon as she turned to the direction, she wanted to just disappear. There are tons of ladies in their beach wears following the model. "Come on. It's just beach volleyball with your sisters", they invited. Kise gave a nervous laugh. "I'm playing another sports, though", he waved his hands. Yana couldn't dare to dive into the ocean of ladies swarming around the blonde. She recalled Sayuri telling her about Kise avoiding running the meantime. "He's still recovering from his injuries so...", Yana said while looking at the floor. 

In any case, you're better in taking care of other people. 

"What?", the ladies directed their attention to her. "Kise-kun is still recovering from his injuries so if you could spare him from activities that would hamper his recovery", she stood and looked at them in the eyes. They all seemed to feel her genuine concern and apologized for being pushy. They left him since it is also time for the photoshoot. 

"Thanks, Yana-cchi. You're not with Sa-cchi", the blonde looked around. "She's training somewhere near", Yana answered. "I see. They landed 3rd during the Inter-High. That isn't a bad but I wonder if they could have gone far if they'll be courageous enough to break their long lasting tradition", Kise scratched his nape. "This is what I am hearing from you, Kise-kun. You wanted her to play during the Inter-High, right?", she smiled. "Of course! She's got potential and Senpai is also praising her quick decision making. Not only in being a point guard but also in shooting the ball", Kise said with excitement. 

The two walked in the hallway. "You see, I was also shocked that she would be playing basketball. It's not she hates people, she's just being considerate to everyone. She needs to work with her communication because a lot of people misunderstands her silence", Yana smiled. Kise recalled what Sayuri also told him the last time. They're similar. "I can't also imagine someone like Sa-cchi in the sports of basketball. If you cannot communicate well, it will also be kind of difficult with your teammates", Kise pointed out. "But then, even if it was difficult for her. She just wanted her father to be happy. Sai's father is a basketball coach, a very enthusiastic one. He got sick and could no longer touch the ball. Sai and her brother promised that they'd play the game for him. When Sai's father died, it was as if there were no reason for her to continue", the lady stopped and looked at Kise. "But then, when she watched you play, she was reminded how basketball is fun", Yana reached out to his shoulder and gave a pat. "Thank you, Kise-kun", the lady smiled and continued walking. 

The Next Day

Shutoko Training Camp

Kitchen

"So she is really cooking for us!", Takao was amazed with the aroma. "Takao. Stop being loud, the upperclassman will get mad at us", Midorima walked behind him. "Shin-chan. Allow me just to be happy for quite sometime. You know how deadly the training would be again later", the lad whined. "Eat", Sayuri passed a bowl of stew to Takao. "I can have this? Thanks", the black haired point guard was about to receive it. "Wait. She's a player from Kaijo. What are the odds that something is in it?", Midorima furrowed his brow as he recalled seeing her during the Inter-High for female. They were the opening act before their game with Seirin. "Shin-chan, why are you intimidating a girl? You're going to make her cry", Takao apologized for his skeptic friend. "The other half of the cabbage wouldn't taste good if it'll be left to be cooked for the next meals", she slightly explained. 

She doesn't want any wasted food. 

"I'm Kazunari Takao and this is Midorima Shintaro. We're both first years. I am assuming you're also one", he introduced. "Nijimura Sayuri", she bowed her head. "It explains why you seem familiar", Midorima looked away and fixed his eyeglasses. "Areh~ Are you using that cliche strategy? You pretend to know the girl then tell them they're familiar", Takao pointed out. "You're not mistaken. I am Nijimura Shuzo's sister", she informed. Takao tilted his head. "Who?", he asked. "The former Captain of Teiko Basketball Club. Akashi took over during our second year. He's a decent player", the green head described one of the players he admires. Before Aomine became the power forward, Shuzo is a flexible player who fits all position, not to mention his long experience with basketball. 

"Then, what is a player of Kaijo doing here instead of training with your teammate?", Midorima interrogated. "I was banned from training with them for the mean time. When the upperclassman retires, I can have access to training in the gymnasium", she answered. "Banned?! Did you do something horrible?", Takao was intrigued. Midorima dragged the lad away and turned to the girl before leaving the kitchen. 

Classes Resumes

Street

Kise saw someone running at full speed. "Oh, Sa-cchi. You're wearing a skirt so maybe you can slow down?", Kise matched her pace. The lady stuffed a bread on the blonde's mouth to keep him from talking. The lad munched on it and was amused to see her desperate not to get late. "Why are you so desperate? You don't like to get punished?", the lad asked. He kept asking questions but Sayuri would just nod or shake her head. Finally, they reached the school gate. 

"You're late. You have to pull weeds after class", Kasamatsu stands in front of the gate. He has a badge of disciplinary committee. "You're being so strict, senpai. We're training for Winter Cup, right? Then let me enter", Kise whined. "I understand your tardiness. What is your reason, Nijimura?", Kasamatsu peeked behind the blonde. "I saw her running to catch the time", Kise narrated how Sayuri's got bed hair everywhere and that he had to lend his comb. 

The two walked inside. "Oh, I see. You're desperate because you don't want senpai to scold you", Kise realized. 

Chapter end.