Chapter 19

Chapter 19 :

Stephanie's POV

I woke up and looked at my phone, squinting as the bright screen hurt my eyes. It was four in the morning. Had I really slept that long? I shrugged, then got out of bed. I knew I wouldnt be able to sleep any longer, so I guess I'd just get ready for 'school'. Actually, I wasn't going to get ready for school.

If I was just walking around town until two thirty (when I actually got out of school), then I would have an hour to get ready for when Michael came over.

I decided to change into better lazy clothes though, so I put on black sweatpants and a plain white v-neck. I then slipped on a pair of white flip-flops, not caring if my shoes matched or not. Instead of brushing my hair, due to laziness, I just threw it up into a messy bun. The feeling of not having hair on my neck was weird, I haven't worn my hair like this in a long time.

I then grabbed my bookbag and decided to write a sticky note to tell my family why I wouldn't be here when they woke up.

'Went to school early, grabbing a coffee at Starbucks on the way there. xxStephaniexx'

I placed the note on the kitchen table, then went outside. It was going to be a long day of walking ahead of me...

I ran through my front door at two forty exactly, trodding up the stairs. Before I could enter my room, I heard my dad call my name.

I stomped back down the stairs, my dad sitting on the couch staring at me with eyes made of ice.

"How'd you do on your science test?"

"I didn't get it back." I lied. Lying was like a second nature to me.

"Weren't you supposed to get it back today?" My dad continued to prod on.

"My teacher forgot to grade them over the weekend so he's grading them tonight." I shrugged, "Oh by the way I'm having a friend over for a little bit."

"What?" My dad snapped.

"I'm having a friend over for a little bit... Is that cool?"

"As long as Marissa is out by seven." My dad said, rubbing his forehead in weariness.

"It's not Marissa." I spoke out quickly, then ran upstairs into my room before my dad could ask who was coming over.

I put down my bookbag, it was now two fifty. My phone started ringing, and I looked at the caller ID. Calum.

"Hello?" I answered, not expecting a call from him.

"Hiii!" I heard his voice sing from the speaker of my phone.

"Why are you calling?"

"Just calling to ask how your school day went!"

I liked Calum and all, but for some reason this was annoying me.

"It went fine, listen, not to be mean, but I kinda have to go. I'm doing something with my family. Talk to you later?"

"Talk to you later," Calum confirmed, "Bye!" I then hung up.

Right after I hit the 'end call' button, I heard knocking on the door. I ran downstairs, heart pounding. Why was Michael here thirty minutes early?

I opened the front door to be met with a clean-looking Michael.

"Hey!" He said quite loudly, and my dad's head instantly snapped up in my direction. I heard him start walking towards the door.

"Hi Michael. Why're you so early?" I asked, feeling extremely embarrassed about the clothes I had on right now.