Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Stephanie

I put on the high waisted, light blue jean shorts I had bought not long ago, along with a tanktop that had a faded American flag on it. I tucked the shirt into my shorts, then applied the same makeup I had worn when I met the boys.

I straightened my hair, and once again, I couldn't even recognize myself. Makeup could do a lot to a person...

I put on my black Vans, probably the 'girliest' shoes I own, then ran downstairs, phone and money in my back pocket.

"I'm going to get food with Marissa!" I yell, making up a lie so that my family wasn't alarmed when they can't find me.

I heard a muffled "okay" from my dad, then went outside, walking to the yogurt shop Michael had talked about.

-

When I got there, Michael was no where in sight, I checked my clock, it was twelve minutes past three, and he still wasn't here.

What if he was joking with me? What if he didn't want to see me? What if he changed his mind about me and didn't want to see me because I wasn't exactly... beautiful? What if he had stood me up? What if he-

My nerve-wrecking thoughts were cut off when I saw Michael walk into the frozen yogurt shop. His eyes instantly met mine, and he smiled, making me blush, but I awkwardly smiled back.

"Hey Stephanie!" Michael said like we've known each other forever.

"Hi." I saw awkwardly, giving a small wave to him as he walked over to me.

We took about seven seconds to look each other up and down, he had on a singlet, black skinny jeans, black dress-ish shoes, and a black bandana laid on his head.

When we finished eyeing each other, he looked back up at my face, smiling, "Wanna get some frozen yogurt or not?"

"Oh, yeah!" I laughed out nervously, blushing.

We walked over to a wall that had all the different flavors of frozen yogurt you could choose, so Michael and I grabbed bowls, then went on our way, piling on toppings along with the frozen yogurt.

When we got our bowls situated, Michael and I went to go pay, but what Michael did made me quite annoyed.

"Frozen yogurt is on me." He laughed, taking money out of his wallet.

"No Michael, I'm paying for myself!"

"No, I'm paying for you! Don't play this game with me!"

"I'm paying for myself." I huffed out, then laid my bowl on the scale that would determine how much I had to pay.

"You can take it off now." A young looking girl said, smiling as she totalled up the amount.

"Add that to my bill." Michael said, then weighed his frozen yogurt.

That dirty dog!

"Michael!" I scolded, I was about to hit his shoulder lightly, but then I remembered we weren't exactly "friends".

You would think we were, because we were getting along so far.... Key words, "so far".

Michael didn't respond, he just smirked as he finished paying for our frozen yogurt.

When he finished doing that, we went and sat at a small table next to the window.

"So why did you want me to come here?" I asked.

"What do you mean? I told you to come here so we could talk in person instead of on the Xbox." Michael shrugged like it was no big deal.

"I know, but I meant like what did you want to talk about..." I said awkwardly.

"I dunno.... Tell me about yourself."

"Uhm... Okay... Here goes nothing," I laugh, then start blabbering on, "My name is Stephanie Willis, I'm sixteen years old, I live in a regular home with my two sisters and one brother. My mum is a doctor, and my dad is a really good dentist, therefore making my parents a little more wealthy, and they both expect their children to become successful..." I paused there, wondering if I should've said that, I glanced up at Michael's eyes, and they were burning holes into my head, "I'll probably become successful in the gaming-field, which is the opposite of what they want!" I laughed, and Michael joined me.

I felt relief wash over my body, I'd actually made him laugh.

"I have a best friend named Marissa, the one you met... And... Yeah... That's about all you need to know about me." I finished off, "Your turn."

Michael then blabbered on about his family, occasionally making me laugh.

"Wanna play COD tonight like the old days?" Michael asked.

"I don't have your new gamertag though..."

"Oh! Thanks for reminding me, lemme see your phone, I'll write it in your notes," Michael said, then I handed him my iPhone.

"What's your passcode?" He asked, glancing up at me, "I mean, if you wanna tell me, if not, I'll let you type it."

"It's 8102."

"Cool. I know this may seem a little soon and weird, but can we exchange numbers?" Michael asked, and I nodded, trying not to act eager.

He then gave me his phone, which I unlocked easily, then typed my contact in, 'Stephanie'.

"I'll text you what time to go on Xbox," Michael said, and I nodded.

-

By five, Michael and I were still in the frozen yogurt shop, and all I can say is that we were kindred spirits. We made each other laugh, and had the same interests, if you would've walked past us, you probably would've thought that we'd been friends forever.

I then got a text from my mom,

Gran is over and I made dinner, finish up with Marissa and come home

I quickly thumbed back an "okay" then put my phone away.

"Michael, my grandma came over my house, and my mom wants me home, so I should be leaving." I chuckled awkwardly.

"That's fine, we'll hang out again for sure." He smiled, and I couldn't help but smile right back, I finally had another friend, except someone who was more like me.

Exactly like me.

"Right." I assured him, then we both stood up, and I was about to go in for a hug, then stopped myself.

Was I moving too fast? Should I hug him?

No, don't creep him out.

"Bye Michael!" I said, waving as I walked out of the frozen yogurt shop, and back to my house.