Chapter 68

(No Control | Holding Me Ransom - 68 - Missing Half Of Me When We're Apart)

Her whole face lights up and she throws herself onto me so hard I stumble, laughing, as she wraps her arms around my neck and kisses me on the lips. Oh God, I've missed her. 

"What are you doing here?" she squeals excitedly when she finally lets me go.

"I missed you too much," I answer, matter-of-factly when inside I'm feeling giddy and just as excited as her. "I thought I'd come back early and surprise you."

She slips her arms around my waist and presses her face against my coat, mumbling, "I'm so glad you're here. I missed you too. I've been counting down the days until I would see you again."

I grin over the top of her head, high on her reaction to me.

"Good surprise, then?" I ask, and she pulls away to look at me. I hold the flowers out to her and she beams even wider.

"Amazing surprise! Thank you - these are beautiful. Come in. I actually thought you were our dinner arriving, but this is way better."

She turns and leads me into the hallway as her words filter through into my brain.

"Our dinner?" I frown.

"Um, yeah, Callie's here," she says awkwardly. "We ordered Indian."

Oh fuck. That's all I need. 

I recall the last time Callie and I met unexpectedly at Jess's flat (and cringe privately at the memory). Am I about to be turfed out as soon as I've arrived, in favour of the Wicked Witch of the West?

Before I can say anything, Callie appears in the doorway to the kitchen and blinks in surprise.

"Oh!" she says, looking down at Jess's flowers and then up at my face. "I didn't know you were coming too."

"Sorry for interrupting," I apologise. "I didn't know you'd be here either. I came back early to surprise Jess."

To my astonishment, her usual look of disdain is missing. She actually looks - dare I say it - impressed by my gesture. Could this be the opportunity I've been waiting for?!

Callie hesitates for a second, and then says to Jess (I nearly fall over in shock), "We can do this another time. I know you haven't seen each other for ages." She then turns to me and addresses me politely! "And she's missed you."

My conscience tells me it would be poor form to pretend to stumble in shock at her words, or grab the kitchen worktop to pretend to steady myself.

"I've missed her, too," I reply, glancing over at Jess, and she is looking at me with what can only be described as heart eyes. My stomach flutters again.

"I'll leave you to it," Callie offers, and she walks into the lounge and picks up her bag.

"You don't have to leave on my account," I call after her, feeling gracious and accommodating all of a sudden. "Jess said you'd ordered dinner."

"Well, you can have mine, if you want," she says courteously. I can tell she absolutely does not want to give up her takeaway, or her evening with Jess, but the fact she has put Jess's needs before her own has sent her up massively in my estimation.

"Or we could ring them and add on an order for Harry too?" Jess pipes up, glancing at me. "Come on, stay. It would be good for the three of us to hang out together."

Callie looks over at me uncertainly and I nod. "If you're absolutely sure you don't mind?" she says, a genuine smile forming on her lips. "I really don't want to be the third wheel."