Chapter 7

(No Control | Holding Me Ransom - 7 - It's The Least I Can Do)

It's late afternoon by the time I call Jeff back, and Grimmy is due to arrive any minute with Pig and wine.

"H," Jeff greets me when he picks up.

"Hey," I reply. "You OK?"

"I'm good," he says cheerfully. "How are you doing? Feels like ages since we last spoke."

"Yeah, I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself," I admit. "What have you been up to?"

"Not much, really. But there's something I need to tell you," he says, seriously. "Can you talk?"

"Um, yeah, OK," I reply, sitting down on the sofa and muting the TV. "What's the matter?"

"I don't really know where to begin," he says. "How much do you remember about that night in New York?"

My stomach wrenches painfully.

"Mate, I really don't want to talk about that," I mutter, uncomfortably.

"I really really think you should," he says. "Trust me. Can you remember details of the night?"

"I'm trying to forget it all," I say, bluntly.

"But is it clear in your mind?" he presses, and I feel a twinge of annoyance at his persistence, as I have clearly told him I don't want to discuss it.

"Parts of it," I say, shortly. "Bits are hazy. I was fucķed."

I feel sick at the literal meaning behind my words.

"You remember taking Speed though, right?"

"How could I forget?" I say, tetchily.

"Where did you get it from? How much did you have?" he asks, urgently.

"I only had one line. One of the guys gave it to me when I couldn't find you."

I don't like talking about this. I'm sick of reliving it all.

"Which guy?" he probes.

"God, I dunno. He was sitting with us. I've never met him before but he was part of our group. Blond hair."

"Think, it's important," he urges. "What was his name?"

I'm starting to feel uneasy now. "I think maybe it was Jason? Why?"

There is silence on the other end of the phone, and I pull it away from my ear to check the call is still connected. It is.

"Jeff?" I prompt.

"Fucķ," he mutters. "H, I am so, so sorry."

"Why? What's up?" I ask. My heart rate is increasing as a sense of foreboding creeps over me.

"Fuckıng hell, man. I'm sorry. Fuck, this is bad."

"What's bad?" I'm starting to feel sick. What the hell is going on?

"The stuff you took - the Speed," he begins, and his voice sounds strained.

"What about it?"

"It wasn't pure."

I'm not sure how I am supposed to respond to this. I mean, I'm still alive, so clearly it didn't do any lasting damage.

"It was mixed with something else. It wasn't just Speed. It was something called Love Potion."

"What the fųck are you talking about?" I ask, losing patience.

"Jason went home that night and gave his girlfriend a damn good time," Jeff says, and I pull a face.