Chapter 31

The drive back to the school has mainly been filled with the radio playing soft music, concerned glances at Stiles, and our unstable breathing. The past few days, I've been really slacking on going on my morning runs. Tonight reminded me of how out of shape I am.

"I'm sorry you missed the game." I tentatively apologize to my boyfriend. The whole way back, he has done nothing, but mope. I feel terrible.

"It's fine." Stiles sighs, hands tightening around the steering wheel.

"No, it's not fine. I know you really wanted to play." I lower the radio.

Stiles keeps his eyes focused on the road. "It doesn't matter. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. I'm never going to play first line."

I peel his right hand off of the steering wheel, our fingers automatically sliding in between each others. "Hey, don't think like that. Your time is going to come."

Stiles shakes his head, stopping at a red light. "Let's just be honest, Ellie. It's not going to happen. Scott gets everything handed to him now and I'll just forever be stuck on the bench. I should just quit."

"Stop being so negative!" I scold him, my eyes narrowing. "Yes, Scott has a lot going for him right now, but are you forgetting about how he is a werewolf? He has the Alpha after him, he has to deal with Derek all the time, and he lost Allison."

He slumps forward, his face buried in his hands. "I have nothing good in my life. I'll forever be stuck on the bench, I can't protect you because I'm not a werewolf, and my dad will always be disappointed in me."

Hurt flashes across my face. Does Stiles not consider me to be a good thing in his life? Pushing my hurt feelings away, I squeeze his hand.

"Your dad will always love you and he is not disappointed in you. He loves you more than anything no matter how many times he catches you getting in trouble." I pause, earning a small smile from him. "And, you can protect me. You did when Peter and Derek were fighting. You have no idea how safe I feel when I'm with you."

Stiles pulls into the school parking lot in a free space. He turns his head in my direction, eyes watery. "I love you."

The corners of my lips tug up in a smile as I unbuckle my seatbelt. "Get out of the jeep." I order him, climbing out.

Confused and surprised that I didn't say it back, Stiles gets out of his jeep, meeting me in front of it. I wrap my arms around his neck, making him come down to my level. His arms slide around my back automatically, our bodies pressing against each others.

"I love you, too." I kiss the corner of his mouth. "Now, stop being so hard on yourself. You have a lot of good in your life and I hope I'm one of them."

Stiles pulls back, eyebrows furrowed. "Of course you are. You and my dad are the best things in my life. Why would you think you weren't?"

I lower my eyes to the ground. "Before, you said that you had nothing good in your life..."

Warm lips press against my own, kissing me with a slight force. "That is not what I meant. I'm sorry you thought I meant it that way; I was being stupid." Stiles kisses me once more. "You." Another kiss. "Are." Kiss. "The." Kiss. "Best." A kiss on my nose. "Thing." Kiss on my forehead. "That's." Kiss. "Ever." Kiss. "Happened." Kiss. "To me." The last kiss ends up on my cheek.

Giggles erupt from me. "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, too." I kiss him, my arms sliding down to his arms. "Now, let's go find Scott."

We stroll into the crowded hallway that leads to the boy's locker room, hoping to find Scott right away, but are greeted with lacrosse players and students. Stiles keeps me close as we weave around everyone in the way to the locker room.