Chapter 10

I toss the lacrosse ball into the air once again, catching it in both hands before it can hit my face. Thanks to Harris, I was loaded with more chemistry homework that I can barely understand, and decided to skip watching lacrosse practice. I finished the worksheet about ten minutes ago, almost slamming my head into my chemistry book from the pain I endured while trying to understand the questions. Maybe if I actually paid attention in class instead of talking to Scott and Stiles, I would actually learn something, but this is Harris we are talking about and I would still most likely be confused.

The door slams from downstairs, indicating that Scott just got home from lacrosse practice. Either practice ran late, Derek got ahold of him, or he met up with Allison because otherwise, Scott wouldn't be getting home so late. Scott trudges into his room, not giving me a second look as he falls face first down on his bed. His backpack drops to the floor.

"Allison is giving me a second chance." Scott turns his head to face me.

"That's great, Scotty." I smile at him, catching the ball one last time before letting it roll onto the bed. He closes his eyes, releasing a sigh. "Why do you not seem happy about that?"

"I am happy, but her father is a hunter.." Scott keeps his eyes shut.

My jaw drops open and I sit up. "Her father?"

"He shot me...with a crossbow." Scott breathes, heavily.

My eyes widen in shock and fear. "Does he know who you are?" I scramble to my knees on the bed.

"No." Scott flashes his eyes open, grabbing a fistful of the comforter in his left hand.

"That's good then." I sit back on my heels. "You two just have to be very careful now. You know, you two sort of have this whole Romeo and Juliet forbidden romance thing going on. Just..uh..promise me you won't kill yourself for her."

"Why? You would do it for Stiles." Scott retorts.

I open my mouth to reply back, but a knock on Scott's door prevents me from doing so. Scott and I both look towards the door to find our Mom in her nurse outfit.

"Hey, guys. Late shift again for me." Mom leans up against Scott's door. "But, I am taking Saturday off to see your first game."

I groan in response. That's just what we need. Mom just wants to be proud and watch her only son play lacrosse. I'm sure she can still be a proud parent when Scott eats one of the other lacrosse players.

"Oh, Mom, you can't." Scott tells her.

"Oh, no." Mom crosses her arms over her chest. "I can and I will. Come on, one shift isn't going to break us...completely." Her eyes dart over to me. "Hey, what's wrong with your eyes? You both look like you haven't slept in days. Are you fighting with Stiles?"

I gape at Mom, surprised by her question. Why would she think something is wrong with my eyes? "N-No. We..uh..I'm just a bit tired and stressed out from all of this chemistry homework." I point at the abandoned textbook on Scott's floor. If I can blame something on Harris then I will definitely do that.

"Just stress? Nothing else?" Mom glances at the two of us, suspiciously.

Scott and I turn to each other. "No."

"I mean, it's not like you're on drugs or anything, right?" Mom asks the two of us, completely serious.

"Right now?" Scott sits up on his bed, raising an eyebrow at her.

Mom's face transforms in a blink of an eye. "Right now? I'm sorry, but what do you mean 'right now'? Have you ever taken drugs?" She huffs.

"Have you?" I take control of this conversation, earning a chuckle from Scott.