Chapter 20

"Are you sure you don't know where Scott is?" Mom presses me for more information on my idiot brother.

The school called her after school saying that Scott wasn't in any of his classes. To say that Mom was mad would be an understatement. She instantly turned to me after the call, thinking I had a clue as to where Scott had been. As many times as I tell her that I don't know, Mom keeps asking me questions about the whereabouts of Scott.

"No, I don't. He hasn't been answering mine or Stiles' texts." I walk through the school hallways to Mr. Harris's classroom. On the way there, I recognise some of my friends' parents.

Mr. Harris lets the two of us into his classroom with a kind smile on his face. Who is he and what has he done to my chemistry teacher? During this whole year, I have not seen Mr. Harris smile or do anything except scowl.

Mom whips out her phone, calling Scott for the millionth time. "Where the hell are you? Get to the school now."

Scott is so dead when Mom gets ahold of him.

Mom and I sit down in two chairs in front of where Mr. Harris sits in the other chair. I awkwardly shift in the plastic chair under Mr. Harris's glare. Mom looks up expectedly at my teacher.

"How about we get started?" Mr. Harris plays the nice teacher card by shooting a smile at my mom.

"Sure."

"Ellie can be a good student, but she is also a disruption when she sits near Scott and Stiles Stilinski." Mr. Harris begins by pointing out the first bad thing about me. "In the beginning of the year, her grades were good. She was getting B's on most of her assignments. Now, she has a high 'D' in my class."

Mom places her hand on my knee. "Ellie has been going through a lot lately. She's very bright. I'm sure if you just gave her some time, she could bring her grade back up again."

"We'll have to see about that now, won't be?" Mr. Harris speaks in a very doubting tone directed towards me. "Lately Scott's mind has been somewhere else, as his body. Personally, I think it may have something to do with his home situation."

"What?" I accidentally blurt out, not understanding him.

Mom gives me a look. "Oh, well, personally, I'm not sure what you mean by 'home situation'." Mom replies back with a bit of an attitude.

"Uh, specifically the lack of an authority figure." Mr. Harris goes into more detail.

"Yeah, I'm the authority figure, so-" Mom trails off, still not understanding what he is trying to get to.

"Sorry. Allow me to clarify. I mean, the lack of a male authority figure." Mr. Harris explains and mom's hand tights on my knee.

I stiffen up in my chair at the mention of my dad. My dad didn't leave our family on good turns. When he left us, I probably took it the hardest with Mom being a very close second. I didn't want him to leave us. I wasn't a daddy's girl, but I felt he didn't care for me at all when they got divorced. Dad completely shut us out of his life.

"Oh. Well, trust me, we're much better without him." Mom tells him, loosening her grip on my knee a little bit.

"Well, does Scott feel the same way?" Mr. Harris asks and I begin to feel my blood boil at these questions.

Mom hesitates for a second. "Yes, I think so. I hope so." She begins to doubt herself.

"But, he's going through some difficult changes. He just needs a..little extra attention, a guiding hand through this crucial stage of his development-"