Chapter 22

Scott stares at me from across the lunch room from behind a book. I roll my eyes at him, focusing my attention back on Lydia and Allison. Scott may not be able to be around her, but that does not mean I have to ruin my social life.

"The what of who?" Lydia asks Allison, who has been talking about some book she is reading for her history project.

"The beast of Gevaudan. Listen," Allison adjusts the book in her hands. "A quadrupled wolf-like monster, prowling the Auvergne and south Drodogne areas of France during seventeen sixty four to seventeen sixty seven. La Bête killed over a hundred people, becoming so infamous that King Louie the fifteenth sent one of his best hunters to try and kill it."

I perk up at the information she is sharing with us. This beast of Gevaudan sounds a lot like a werewolf.

"Boring." Lydia absentmindly plays with her fork. I wave my hand dismissively at Lydia, wanting Allison to continue.

"Even the church eventually declared the monster a messenger of Satan." Allison continues to read from the book.

"Still boring." Lydia adds.

"Cryptozoologists believe it may have been a subspecies of hoofed predators, possibly a mesonychid." Allison reads off and loses me at the big words.

"Slipping into a coma bored." Lydia fakes yawns.

Allison rolls her eyes, going back to her book. "While others believe it was a powerful sorcerer who could shape shift into a man-eating monster."

"Any of this have anything to do with your family?" Lydia raises an eyebrow at Allison.

I slightly lean forward, curious to know her answer. If Allison knows about her family's history then Scott is screwed.

"This." Allison points to the next part in her book. "It is believed that La Bête was finally trapped and killed by a renown hunter, who claimed his wife and four children were the first to fall prey to the creature. His name was Argent."

Oh. That's not good. If Allison starts snooping around in her family history, I'm sure it won't take long for her to find about everything. She'll find out that she is meant to kill werewolves like Scott and Derek.

"Your ancestors killed a big wolf. So what?" Lydia asks, not caring slightest bit.

"Not just a big wolf. Take a look at this picture. What does it look like to you?" Allison spins the book around for is to see a picture.

My breath catches in my throat when I recognize the wolf. The wolf in the picture looks identical to the Alpha. The same menacing red eyes staring back at me.

"Lydia? Ellie?" Allison frowns at the two of us.

Lydia snaps back to her normal attitude instead of looking scared like she just was. "It looks- like a big- wolf. See you in history." She walks away with a smile.

Allison turns her head back to her book, not paying the slightest bit of attention to me. Glancing behind me, Stiles waves me over with one hand. I turn back around to face Allison.

"I see you later, okay?" I pick up my backpack and bottle of water.

"Yeah, sure." Allison says, completely absorbed in the book.

I make my way over to Scott and Stiles. Scott is still hiding behind the book he has, occasionally peeking over it at Allison. I set my backpack on the floor and kiss Stiles' cheek in greeting.

"I think the book's making it more obvious." Stiles glances over his shoulder at Allison. "Besides, she's reading anyway."

Scott doesn't listen and stays hidden behind his book. "So, did you come up with a plan yet?"