16: The Kids Aren't Alright (Pete's POV)

Should I be this surprised?? I never really thought that Ashley would ever ask about sex... I mean, it's not like I wasn't thinking the same. And besides, it's pretty normal to think about it... Right?

I'm just glad Christmas is coming soon. It's my favorite holiday! But this year, I intend to get Ashley something special. But it's only the beginning of December, and there's not any snow yet, and it's only a little cold out. And that surprises me since I live in Chicago. But hopefully it snows soon. I mean, what's Christmas without snow?

Ashley and I walked inside my house, coming home from the playground. My parents weren't home, but my sister was. Hilary was on the couch watching TV.

"Hilary? Where's Andrew?" I asked. She looked at me, with a sad expression on her face.

"He's upstairs...he wanted to be left alone." She said sadly. Both Ashley and I furrowed our eyebrows in confusion, and worry.

"Why? What's the matter?" I asked, worriedly. She sighed.

"He likes this girl, but he freaked out because he said he knows that she won't like 'an ugly fag like him' and he just ran upstairs crying his eyes out." She said sadly. I felt my heart drop. Why would Andrew think that? I looked over, and Ashley had a sad expression on her face.

"I'm gonna go talk to him," I said. Hilary and Ashley nodded, and I rushed upstairs. I walked to Andrew's bedroom door, and I heard sniffles from in there. Even though my little brother can be a pain in the ass sometimes, he's only 14, and I hate when him, or my sister are feeling this way. I lightly knocked on his door, and I heard the sniffles stop.

"Andrew? Open up." I said.

"Just leave me alone, Pete..." He sniffed quietly. I knocked once again.

"Andrew, it's just me. Open the door." I said. I heard him sigh. I then heard footsteps, and the door opened, revealing Andrew. His face was tear stained, and his eyes were red.

"What do you want Pete?" He asked, avoiding eye contact with me.

"I want to talk to you. I heard about what you said, and why you got so upset. Care to talk?" I asked. He sighed, and let me in his room. I walked in, and sat on his bed, and he shut the door behind him. I patted the spot next to me, and he sat down next to me. I wrapped an arm around him.

"Andrew, why would you call yourself a fag, or say you're ugly?" I asked sadly. He sighed.

"It's because it's what I am, Pete." He said, a tear going down his face. My jaw dropped.

"Andrew, you aren't any of those things. What made you think that?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Andrew, I'm your big brother. You can tell me anything." I assured him. He took a deep, but shaky breath.

"You did..." He said. I felt my expression drop, along with my heart. I made him feel this way..? I was left stunned.

"I...Andrew what did it do? Because whatever it is I want to know." I asked. A few tears slipped down his cheeks.

"You're always making fun of me, and you're always mean to me. It's like whenever I try or want to do something, you glare at me, and you say stuff like 'you won't be able to do that' or 'why even bother?' It just puts me down, Pete. I sometimes feel like you don't believe in me..." He said, his voice cracking. My heart broke instantly. I had no idea that I was affecting him this much... I really never mean it, I just joke with him a lot, but I didn't know he took it seriously. He always seemed to brush it off, or forget about it. I hugged Andrew tightly, and he buried his head in my chest.

"Andrew, I'm so sorry...I honestly had no idea. I thought you didn't really care, and whenever I say that stuff, I don't mean it. I'm just joking with you. I had no idea you took it seriously... And don't you ever say I don't believe in you, because that's a lie. I mean, when I was 13 and I was scared to audition for band, what did you do?" I asked. He looked up at me.

"I told you, you could do it no matter what..." He said.

"And when I was nervous about my championship soccer game, what did you do?" I asked.

"I played soccer with you outside until you weren't nervous..." He said.

"And when I tried to kill myself, and you saw me in the hospital, what did you do?" I asked.

"I let you cry in my shoulder..." He said. I smiled down at him.

"You see? How could I not believe in you after everything you've helped me with? I promise Andrew, even though you can be annoying sometimes, nothing will change the fact that you're always gonna be my baby brother, no matter what. And I promise, I'll always be proud of you, I'll always believe in you, and I'll always love you." I assured him. His lips curled into a smile, and he hugged me tight again.

"Thanks, Pete." He said into my chest. I hugged him back tightly, and rubbed his back. We pulled away from the hug, and I looked at him.

"So, I heard someone has a crush?" I smirked, crossing my arms. He sighed, and rolled his eyes.

"Yes..." He laughed.

"What's her name?"

"Tiffany Blews."

"Is she cute?"

"She's beautiful."

"So, do you know if she likes you? Has she given any signs?" I asked. He thought for a few moments.

"Well, she does glance at me and smile a lot, and whenever we talk, I laugh, and she blushed like crazy." He said. My eyes widened a little. That's exactly what happened when Ashley and I first met...

"What else?" I asked, curiously.

"She's sat with me at lunch a few times. She likes the same type of music I do, and we're like best friends, but I'm nervous..." He said.

"Andrew, don't you see?? She likes you!" I said. His eyes widened.

"How can you tell?" He asked.

"Uhh...I just know. I've seen this before. I think you should ask her out." I said.

"Really?"

"Yes! I think she sounds like your type of girl." I said.

"I don't know-"

"Andrew, trust me. Ask her tomorrow, but not right away. Just start up a conversation, and get into it. Come on, there's only one week left until Christmas break. You don't want to wait 3 weeks, believe me." I said. He sighed.

"Okay, fine. I'll ask her." He smiled.

"You'll do great." I said, ruffling his hair. He hugged me once again, making me hug him back.

"Thanks for helping me, Pete." He said. I smiled.

"Just doing my job." I said.
~~~~~~~~~
Sorry this sucked, but I needed a filler! I need ideas! I'll take requests in the comments if anyone has anything. Thanks for reading this chapter! Dedicated to LeslieHo2 and PatheticDonut

~Bella🕓