"Alright, no need to get salty." I raised an eyebrow and frowned.

"Just so you know, I prefer the birthday cards with the stick figures and crappy jokes, if you get what I mean," Fred announced as if I needed to take note of that.

"Course you do," I replied. "I would buy you one, but I like Gina's cakes more than innuendos so I think I'll pass. Don't want to get my backside whooped, to be honest."

"Suit yourself."

"Alright, no need to get salty birthday boy." This time he was the one to raise an eyebrow.

"You're weird."

"I'm a word magician. I can use your words against you."

"Sure," Fred rolled his brown eyes.

We continued watching a documentary from last lesson but I couldn't concentrate properly. Our desk might as well have been an airport because paper airplanes and notes were passed to Fred, and this time they had all those sentimental messages that he liked.

And so the day continued. The whole cafeteria sang him happy birthday and I just gave up on trying to cram information in my head for the maths test. Let me tell you, I wasn't bitter. I had nothing against Fred but I didn't understand why everyone made enough a big deal to tell others they weren't good enough and not get on with their own lives. It was going to be a 2-3 hour long social gathering, not prom or a ball or a school disco. It was literally going to be eating junk food, shameless jamming out and playing party games. That's how it went every year.

Maybe I'm the one being a cow. I don't know. I knew that the most important thing on my mind was Katherine's labour tomorrow. A certain worry was gnawing at the back of my brain all day and I couldn't get it out of my thoughts. I didn't even know why it was there but I knew that I needed to stay calm.

I went to Room 7 so I could concentrate properly and get something done. Eliza was the only one there, sorting out everyone's pages and stapling things together for tomorrow's issue.

"Hi," I greeted and sat down on one of the tables.

"Couldn't concentrate in the library?" Eliza looked up and I shook my head.

"It's surprisingly loud today. All I saw was confetti, glitter and other stuff they were sticking to birthday banners. I mean, good for Fred, at least he'll get free and recycled room decor but it was like no one wanted to pay any consideration to the people revising!" I said. "Maybe I'm being the whiny douche in this situation but it's practically impossible to speak about anything but his birthday."

"I remember that it was the same when my brother was still at this school," Eliza commented. "All I heard every single day of the week was people asking me about party details and all I seemed to do was scurry off in my room because there were so many people."

"I should know better but I just got slightly annoyed,"

"It happens."

I began working, going through my notes, highlighting and and repeating things to myself. Maths wasn't my favourite subject- our teacher didn't particularly like any of us and implied we weren't good enough to be in top set because we only got average grades. I had worked really hard for the past few weeks so I could move up to top Maths but she still wouldn't let us and this time I was determined to do well in the test.

"How did you get to know Fred?" Eliza looked at me with curiousity in her green eyes.

"Our mums are best friends. We've known each other for over seven years."

"Aw cute!" Eliza exclaimed. "Have you guys ever gone out?"

I raised an eyebrow. "No. My sister's always trying to set us up but then I use my blackmailing abilities to shut her up."