Chapter 32- Batsy Batsy Batsy

"Hand over your wallet. Now!"I watched my father with his trembling hands take out his wallet and proceeded to hold it at arms length to the man. The gun was nearing closer to his temple. My father was shaking all over,and yet in his eyes we all saw an act of bravery, calmness, sacrifice. As if he accepted his fate long before any of us noticed. "Sometimes fate is often met on the road taken to avoid it" he used to say to me, when I would wander into his study trying to look at his work out of a naive curiosity. The words ring so true now. My mother had remained clinging to me hysterically, whilst trying to reassure me at the same time; even in her darkest hour she still remained optimistic."It's okay Bruce, it's okay we are going to go home after this."I was only a child after all. I had the naivety and innocence to believe my mothers loving words. To believe that my father would talk his way out of it as he normally did. To believe that life could go on for the Wayne's. 

 Bang. 

 "Batman, batman over here!"I head towards the rollercoaster where the cries of help are, only to see the carts just being set off up towards the peak which had no remaining track. 

"Play by my rules batsy. Now you can only save one cart logically thinking... So which will it be? The cart with the freshly married couple? The cart with the old decaying women? Or the cart of the poor family and child who will be dead or an orphan after your decision. Tick tock batsy tick tock" 

"Tick tock tick tock!" 

"Harley!"

 "Sorry puddin'"There she was again, joker's girl by his side over the intercom; watching the madness unfold below them on the Ferris wheel. To them everything is a game. Fixed in their own twisted way, so every time he can always take the prize. Like a child he always has to have his own way or he gets angry... but he's right, I can't save them all and if I could I'd be wasting time that could be spent saving robin. Making sacrifices like this is what tortures my brain the most, those nights I spend awake thinking of all the lives ruined on my own account. It all started back on that fatal day when my parents died, and I took the duty of carrying on the Wayne family name, a huge burden. I even tried to continue my own family, adopted Jason and gave him a home and a lifestyle which many young boys are enchanted by. I suppose the enchantment wore off with every crow bar hit that psychopathic clown gave him, corrupting his innocent mind until all that was left was the repeated phrase "someone save me"

"Someone save us!"

I reach the control panel in seconds, already desperately attempting to stop the carts in a calm fashion, but I already knew the outcome. I had to choose. With a heavy heart I reach for my hook and aim it towards the top of the track, flying up and in the same movement landing gently on the car; I pick up the little girl and her parents then zoom off again before the car falls over the edge and smashes into the ground. The shrieks are painful. 

"You c-c-h-o-see us.... t-thank you!"

The mother hugs her little girl giving me a grateful smile, yet in her eyes I see the panic and fear which has been set to scar her for the rest of her life. The husband places a reassuring hand on her shoulder and briefly I see a perfect and together family, staring at one another as if they know that as long as they have each other everything will be okay. Everything will be okay.

"Go. Now."

"Well well Batsy knew you were a family man! speaking of family, Harley dear why don't you give our lovely a little report on what is happening to boy wonder?"

"Sure thin' joker! As we speak the concentration of gas is at 25%, a quarter of its full potential! Y'a got a few hours remainin' batsy and even then I don't think lil' Robin isn't gonna last much longer."