Chapter 25- A Blast From The Past

"Y'a sure we won't get caught?"
"Stop being a little wuss and climb in"

I giggle as Harvey tries to shove me through the slightly opened window and into the Principle's office above, his hands tight around my waist as he keeps lifting me up to reach the ledge.

"God Harley why you so heavy?"
"I ain't heavy y'a just a weaklin"

"I am not!"

He gives a final shove and I front flip into the office and crash on the floor in fits of laughter, he gives a sigh from below and reaches up his hands to the ledge which I take to help haul him up. Once he's in he removes the blonde mop he called hair from his eyes and gives the comforting bracey grin I always looked forward to see. When he smiled he had a cute way of scrunching up his nose like a little rabbit and revealing all his teeth which made me nickname him 'Harvey Dentures'; he never took the nickname to full offence though, he just used to retort by calling me Narly Finzel as an ironic name because I couldn't Swim. Ever since Elementary we had been inseparable, with him being the nerdy smarty pants and me being the class clown (ironic I know.). For kids who seemed quite harmless the stuff we got up to would be fairly shocking, which made it perfect because no one ever suspected us!

"Right. You got the key?"
"Stole it from him this morning in assembly"
"Perfect okay the cupboards right here"

We head towards the confiscation cupboard and I insert the key with a hard shove and Harvey rolls his eyes towards mine which I give a little wink to. As the cupboard swings open he immediately begins to rummage through every draw as fast as he could, scanning so intensely I had never seen him so focused.

"What are we even lookin for?"

I pick up a yoyo and begin practicing to throw it around as I perch on the edge of the headteacher's desk whilst keeping my eye on the door as lookout. Harvey doesn't reply for several minutes but then finally he stops and pulls out a small silvery item from the box and instantly his body relaxes.

"We were looking for this"

I stare it in confusion. I risked facing a detention for this? For that thing?

"Wha' even is that? A coin?"

"Not just any coin Harleen... this coin is special"

He hops up on the desk beside me and holds it up close to my face so that I can see my own in the reflection of the silver head. I tilt my head slightly to one side and reach out for it but he instantly cradles it away from me.

"Y'a got a funny definition of special dentures, I don't see a difference to any other coin" I state with a shrug and begin to yo-yo again.

"That's because sometimes special things have got to remain under a secret, otherwise everybody would want it wouldn't they?"

"Suppose'"

"I've had this coin for as long as I can remember, my dad told me that it could help with my decisions in any situation. The coin never lies, all its answers have a reason and its never done me wrong. That stupid principle just didn't understand because he thinks its all just a joke. No one ever takes me seriously;they all think I'll never become a lawyer, especially when I go to this school and live in such a dump of an area, no offence."
"None taken, our street is hardly Wayne manor is it."

He gives a little laugh and looks at the coin in a broody silence.
"Yeah its not, some people have it easy don't they? Bet Bruce Wayne doesn't even need to  risk a his fate, he always has a back up plan with that amount of wealth"
"Well... If it matters I think y'a gonna be great in the future!"