A Bossy French Dude, Some Fog, and Another Near Death Experience

“It’s too early for this,” I complain as I pull on my captain’s hat over my loosely braided hair and then move to tighten the laces on my hidden blades.

Connor chuckles. “This is what you get for staying up so late last night.”

“Well, that’s because you just had to freaking tear your robes!” I say in an annoyed tone putting my hands on my hips.

Connor holds his hands up in defeat. “That would not have happened if you had not taken off so fast after that traitor yesterday.”

I roll my eyes as I look out to the open waters where a large French vessel floats soundlessly on the waters.

“Our charge, captains,” Mister Faulkner begins as he suddenly appears on the upper deck. “The Belladonna under Roderigue Hortalez and Company. She appears Spanish for intents and purposes, but rest assured she's a French Vessel.”

“French are bringin' in a boatload of powder and guns forOld Georgieand hisPatriots,” David Clutterbuck adds as he sits on the railing near his gun post. “Some Colonial boats were supposed to escort her up the coast but they left her behind. She been waitin' ever since.”

I shrug. “Typical.”

“We will make sure Washington gets what he is expecting,” Connor says calmly as he glances at me before taking the wheel again.

I grin at him before walking from the captain’s deck to look out towards the large French yellow and blue boat floating soundlessly on the water. I look towards the end of the ship and see a small long boat making its way towards us. There’s a snobby looking Frenchman in it who wears a fancy blue coat and pretty little black captain’s hat.

When the long boat gets here, he is the one who comes up onto the deck. The man, who rowed him here, went back to the Belladonna.

“Where is le Capitaine?” He calls in a heavy French accent as he walks towards us seeming to ask me the question.

“I am right here, and there’s another one over there,” I say gesturing to myself and then pointing to Connor.

“A little girl can’t be a captain!” he says to me with a stern voice then he turns away from me and walks towards Connor who was watching at the wheel.

“Oh, no he didn’t!” I snarl and I unsheathe my hidden blades and start marching towards him. But before I can get any closer, I feel strong arms holding me back. Mister Faulkner is gripping my arms and pulling me back from the Frenchman.

“Take it easy,” he says to me.

I growl angrily. “That asshole just called me a little girl.”

“Yes, but so does everybody else, let it go.”

I groan rolling my eyes and then I slowly sheathe my hidden blades and stop struggling.

Faulkner releases me and walks back towards Connor and the snobby Frenchman.

“You are late,” he says to Connor in a loud and heavy French accent with annoyance filling his tone.

“We came as quickly as the wind allowed,” Connor replies calmly.

“Too slow!” The Frenchman complains.

“And what happened to your escort?” Connor asks trying to change the subject.

“Le Randolph started with us then departed without warning. Typique,” he scoffs. “This is why le Lieutenant insisted I come aboard.”